Author Topic: Powder coating?  (Read 1516 times)

Offline Moto

• Level 1
Powder coating?
« on: 10/26/09 - 11:36PM »
Has anyone ever tried or had luck with sandblasting & powder coating front & or rear double tube bumpers?
Thanks!

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
Re: Powder coating?
« Reply #1 on: 10/26/09 - 11:59PM »
No reason you can't.  Some brands come that way. 

We use Blasters down in Nixa for most of our stuff.
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline Moto

• Level 1
« Reply #2 on: 10/27/09 - 12:30AM »
Well that's what I was thinking, I have a couple of Smittybilt(no longer in business) bumpers that have the Titanium flaking off, so I figured I'd try that route if I could have somebody do it that could match the original color as my nerf bars are the same color & still in good condition. I'll have to check around & see who's into that sort of work & get a quote.
Thanks!

Offline OJTV8CJ

• Charter Members
  • Level 4
« Reply #3 on: 10/27/09 - 02:44PM »
Go to C&C Powdercoating in Nixa.  I have worked with them on a couple of projects and they are good to work with.  They have someone that they use to blast too. 
I cut sheetmetal for free.  It's fixing it that get's expensive.

Offline Moto

• Level 1
« Reply #4 on: 10/27/09 - 02:53PM »
Great! I'll give them a call today & see what they say.
Thanks!!!

I was just looking on the internet to locate them. They're not called CMC Prep & paint & located on Tracker Rd in Nixa, are they?
« Last Edit: 10/27/09 - 03:03PM by Moto »

Offline mike4089

• Level 2
« Reply #5 on: 10/27/09 - 10:24PM »
automobile cosmetics on commercial street does a great job...they do all my stuff

Offline Moto

• Level 1
« Reply #6 on: 10/27/09 - 11:06PM »
Awesome,...thanks, I'll call them tomorrow.
I called CMC, but the guy's said they'd rather see it before they could give me a quote, after getting there & them seeing the bumpers, they figured it'd hard to sandblast the finish off, only to powdercoat it again, & wind up where I'm at (with rust) again before too long anyway, plus they said they couldn't match the color I have. :102: But I got a decent quote for both bumpers & nerf bars to be armourcoated but it'd be black only & would totally change to looks & I'd have to have the nerf bars done (which are fine) to have everything match, ::) :106:
I'll call the guy's on Commercial street to see what they say before I do anything. Thanks again for the "leads", & I'm still open for more!
Moto

Offline OJTV8CJ

• Charter Members
  • Level 4
« Reply #7 on: 10/28/09 - 12:12PM »
Awesome,...thanks, I'll call them tomorrow.
I called CMC, but the guy's said they'd rather see it before they could give me a quote, after getting there & them seeing the bumpers, they figured it'd hard to sandblast the finish off, only to powdercoat it again, & wind up where I'm at (with rust) again before too long anyway, plus they said they couldn't match the color I have. :102: But I got a decent quote for both bumpers & nerf bars to be armourcoated but it'd be black only & would totally change to looks & I'd have to have the nerf bars done (which are fine) to have everything match, ::) :106:
I'll call the guy's on Commercial street to see what they say before I do anything. Thanks again for the "leads", & I'm still open for more!
Moto

Matching powdercoat that is old will be your biggest problem.

It was CMC, and they have been burned with giving qoutes over the phone.  It takes some time to get stuff down there for qoutes but it also gives you a chance to see the facility.

Good luck in your search.  I got away from powdercoating because it is too hard to touch up when you scratch it.  I like the old rattle can.
I cut sheetmetal for free.  It's fixing it that get's expensive.