Author Topic: delete  (Read 843 times)

Offline r7955

• Level 1
delete
« on: 11/ 2/09 - 09:50PM »
Hello,

I've tried finding an older post that is similar to my problem, but no luck.

So please bear with me.

This last Sunday, I just bought a 1998 TJ with the 4 cylinder 5 speed, 108k miles, great shape for being 12 years old.  It has 31 inch bfg at's on factory aluminum "gambler" style rims, with no lift.  Jeep has no ac or cruise, drives straight as can be, with good power.

I filled it last night, have driven 31 miles so far today and have used 1/4 of a tank of fuel.  About 24 miles city & 7 highway.  I don't drive like a speed demon (40 in town, 60-65 on the highway).

Any ideas why I'm getting such poor mileage?  Like I said, good power out of the 4 cylinder, pretty tame tires (proper inflation).  But I will not be able to keep it if I get such horrible mileage.  I'd be looking at 120 miles to a tank of fuel.

Thank you for your help.

Randy
« Last Edit: 11/22/09 - 10:44AM by r7955 »

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
Re: Horrible mileage out of my 4 cylinder TJ
« Reply #1 on: 11/ 2/09 - 09:54PM »
Randy,

Jeeps have inaccurate gas gauges.  You need to actually do the math and see what your mileage is.  Fill up, then drive it, fill up again and divide total miles driven by # of gallons used.

A 4cyl TJ with 31's rough guess would be 14-16mpg.
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline TJ-2thousand

• Level 4
  • When in doubt, throttle out!!!
Re: Horrible mileage out of my 4 cylinder TJ
« Reply #2 on: 11/ 3/09 - 01:45PM »
I also have a 4 cyl 2000 tj with 3 inch lift. 33" bfg mts.

I have a cat back exhaust, an open cone intake, brand new plugs, wires, cap rotor, and a brand new reman motor. And I get 10mpg on the highway, and about 12 in town.

My next step to try to improve milage is to replace the fuel sending unit, which is the pump and filter.

But I know what I really need to do is change my gears.
CAMPING WITHOUT BEER IS JUST SLEEPING OUTSIDE!