Author Topic: trail talk. SAFETY  (Read 971 times)

Offline OldYJ

• Charter Members
  • Level 5
trail talk. SAFETY
« on: 08/28/06 - 12:10AM »
I saw this an onother site and thought I would share the story it is a couple of years old, but it makes you think. This  sport we all love so mutch can be hazards not only to the wallet but also ourselvs

My best friend Died today at age of 37 Over a basic simple mistake!
WE where at out truckwars/mudbog for The Moonlight stompers On Duffield.

After he broke his front end he desided to still play in 2wd. I had left and didn't see it happen but what happend was everyone got in a hurry and lots of trucks stuck with dozers and 6" straps all over the place ...
David was an advacate of safety But we'll never know what went through his head this time... BUt they broke the cardanal rule os Hooking 2 (small) 3" straps together with a Clevis (wich is like a rocket and what killed him)and david was unfortunate to ahve the brand new strap on his Jeep (they where out of 6" staps that day so he bought a 3") so when the strap let loose from the other Jeep while David was truned around looking backwards being pulled out from teh back...The Clevis hit him in the head and killed him instantly..
He was the nicest man I know and would do anything for anyone!
He was survived by his Wife and 5 yr old Son Both where there the wife seen it happen the son still doesn't know and wont be told untill tomorrow!
I will post funeral arangments tomorrow and would request that anyone who cares PLEASE Show up and pay respects to his family..
He died doing what he loved best and the wife said it would be a blessing to her to see all his friend show suport!
He was the man that came Up to Grandmans and yogies with me....and if anyone has a picture of us in teh Jeep AT ALL could you post it here so we can print it out ...we are doing a clage of him and his Jeep for his wife and also a vidieo of him at all our mud bogs!
WE will set up a trust fund for his wife at a later date! I will repost all this infor when i get back in town or have my wife do it all becasue im going away for work for 4 weeks BUt i will get the info to you!
Anydonations would be Great! also all vidios of that bog and of the vidieo of Just him will go to his wife!

SO please use this as a warning and be more careful of using to small of a strap while pulling out people..and try to never use a Clevis in teh middle..
David knew this but failed to do it this one time probley figureing he wasn't stuck back and it would be ok and he paid for it with his Life!

In loveing Memory of David Wycoff
Aug 18th 1967- Oct 9th 2004

a few tips plaes add to it if you think of any more
Have propoerly attached tow hooks
No tow straps with hooks
Avoid using clevises to connect tow straps together
Avoid jerking when towing
Wear gloves when handling winch cable
Put a weight on winch line in case of breakage
Stand away from winch line in case of breakage
Keep a safe distance between your vehicle and the one in front of you when going up or down steep inclines
Use only the amount of speed required to safely climb an obstacle, it is better to have to try a second time than to lose control on the first attempt
If unsure of your or your vehicle's capabilities ask for help
Wear seatbelts
Be sure your vehicle is in gear with brake set when parking on a hill
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from
those who are willing to work and give to those who would not"
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bradman

• Level 4
  • II've got a buzz and a woody, and I'm ready to go!
Re: trail talk. SAFETY
« Reply #1 on: 08/29/06 - 09:49AM »
This is a good reminder for everyone.  Safety on, and off the trail needs to be stressed.
1999 TJ  2.5 inch Rancho Rockrawler lift  33inch BFG's  Loc-Rites front and rear!<br /><br />Ranch Rocker!<br />http://smorr.net/images/ranch_rockers_avatar50.png

Offline cpj

• Level 2
« Reply #2 on: 08/31/06 - 01:26AM »
Quote from: "OldYJ"

Be sure your vehicle is in gear with brake set when parking on a hill

You know all about that, dont you? :agree:
Once in a while that perfect part rolls around that the redneck craftsman sees and goes, "this would be just perfect as a ________."

Offline OldYJ

• Charter Members
  • Level 5
« Reply #3 on: 08/31/06 - 05:37PM »
if we are going to talk about me ,maybe I should have said "make sure you rock is behide the tire on the down hill side" :brows:
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from
those who are willing to work and give to those who would not"
Thomas Jefferson