Author Topic: Need help with camcorders  (Read 1673 times)

Offline Big Pimpin

• Charter Members
  • Level 4
Need help with camcorders
« on: 12/25/06 - 05:02PM »
I am going to be getting a new camcorder soon, I am not sure which is the best one for me.  I am not sure if I should get a full digital (one that has a card) or something that has either a tape or a disc.  Any suggestions?
The phrase "You almost made it" breaks a lot of things.

Offline junior

• Level 1
Re: Need help with camcorders
« Reply #1 on: 12/25/06 - 07:09PM »
mini dv the only way to fly.

Offline YellowTJ

• Level 2
« Reply #2 on: 12/25/06 - 08:30PM »
The ones with cds do not tape for that long the disc are short can not be copied over and are a little expensive.  They will skip if you bang it around too much.

The ones with HDs will never survive the bumping around of the inside of a jeep.  You'll kill it in about 6 months, while convient and all while they sound like they have huge drives it['d be enough for most people for a day trip, however if your going to take it on your races you'd not make it a weekend without dumping it onto a laptop or something.

Best way to go is mini DV.  The cameras are cheap and work well.  They tend to take a beating.  The tapes are not bad in price, and can be written back over several times.

I have a small Sony Wide screen mini-dv and it works like it should and the price was good at just around $350-400, it has anything I could need.

If you have more specific questions let me know.
color=yellow]
_l----l_
OlllllllO
[]--o-[]      "YellowTJ"

Offline Big Pimpin

• Charter Members
  • Level 4
« Reply #3 on: 12/26/06 - 09:37AM »
Thanks, I will be checking them out soon.

Offline Big Pimpin

• Charter Members
  • Level 4
« Reply #4 on: 12/26/06 - 06:34PM »
Looked around at Best Buy today, do most of the camcorders only do around 1 megapixel for the stills?  I was hoping to have a little better quality than that, of course I would like to stay in the $300 to $400 range too.

YellowTJ, were you there today?  I thought I saw you but I was behind you and it looked like you had a hat on?  Was going to go over and see but I was late for something else.

Offline Care Bear

• Level 2
« Reply #5 on: 12/26/06 - 07:39PM »
Did you check out the cannon.  I am pleased with the cannon.  I will get specifics to you later.
ari
When you get squeezed, the stuff that comes out, is what is on the inside.

Offline iJeep

• Level 4
« Reply #6 on: 12/26/06 - 08:58PM »
We just got a JVC with the hard drive built in.  It was in the price range you described.  It will hold 4-5 hours on the drive at high quality and you can put in a card to get extra storage.  

So far we like it a lot.  Got it at Circuit City.

Offline ladyliberty

• Level 1
« Reply #7 on: 12/26/06 - 09:15PM »
Hey, Derek.  The one I have is the Canon ZR200.  I don't know what the price is on it now (I bought mine about a year ago).  But for the camera, an extra battery, a bag, and a memory card, I paid $500.  I like this model because I can put you guys on tape, and when I watch it after I get home, I can snap all of the pics (to memory card).  Also, I keep all of my tapes for future reference (I am working on making dvd's for each Jeeper).  And my camera is tough.  It has been on the trail every time I have since I got it.  I am VERY pleased with it.  

LL
HELL ON WHEELS, IN COWGIRL HEELS!!<br /><br /><br /><br />Rockette

Offline YellowTJ

• Level 2
« Reply #8 on: 12/28/06 - 02:55PM »
Yeah I've been at Best Buy a lot, I got two gift cards for there so I've been having fun.  They're all gone now  :agree:
color=yellow]
_l----l_
OlllllllO
[]--o-[]      "YellowTJ"