Author Topic: tool opinions  (Read 888 times)

Offline TJ-2thousand

• Level 4
  • When in doubt, throttle out!!!
tool opinions
« on: 07/ 7/08 - 01:07AM »
So I need to buy an a small compressor, trim, brad, stapler, and framing guns.
So my options are:

Porter Cable (never used one) this is the best price by far. Its the compressor, staple, brad and finish nailer, hose and fittings for $239. The same place also sells a DeWalt framing gun for the best price I have seen.

Bostich $279 I have been borrowing this compressor and guns, have not had a single problem with this, but the price is a little higher. It includes the same as above.

DeWalt $299 comes with a MUCH smaller compressor, and only the brad and finish.

So my question is, has anybody used porter cable tools before? Or is it worth the money to upgrade to DeWalt or Bostich? Im pretty set on the Dewalt framing gun for $129. But if you know of another brand for a good price I am open to other options.

I am doing basic handyman stuff, trim, hardwood floors, decks, fences, roofing......

Thanks!!!

Brian
CAMPING WITHOUT BEER IS JUST SLEEPING OUTSIDE!

Offline LibertyPatriot

• I vote for BACON!
  • Charter Members
  • Level 5
  • Web Wheeler!
Re: tool opinions
« Reply #1 on: 07/ 7/08 - 11:27AM »
I've had a Porter Cable brad nailer for several years, but used very little.  I like it, it's very light.  When I was doing some construction, I most often saw the Porter Cable pancake compressor being used for finish carpentry.  Again, I'd say it's because it's all lightweight.

Although I've heard nothing but good about the Bostitch stuff.  If I were buying now, I'd most likely get the Bostitch kit.

Find a roofer and see what compressor lasts longer, they will be able to give you a more accurate assesment, as their compressors run almost all day when nailing shingles.
I'd put something funny here, but you probably wouldn't get it anyway...