Author Topic: cherokee clunking...  (Read 1771 times)

Offline keegan

• Level 2
cherokee clunking...
« on: 08/31/06 - 11:22PM »
girlfriends 99 xj just started clunking today. Its coming from the front drivers side axle. It only pops/clunks when the wheels are turned and the car is moving. Its got a new wheel bearing on it and everything seems tight. any takers???
Keegan

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
Re: cherokee clunking...
« Reply #1 on: 08/31/06 - 11:34PM »
Junk axle joint?
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline keegan

• Level 2
« Reply #2 on: 08/31/06 - 11:40PM »
Quote from: "toyotaguy"
Junk axle joint?

pulled that out. it seems to be perfectly fine, I couldnt get any clunking or one rattle out of it...
Keegan

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #3 on: 08/31/06 - 11:42PM »
What about bushing in control arms?  It doens't make since with the turning as opposed to stopping but a could be.  That or ball joints.
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline Fierogld

• Level 3
  • climbin trees
« Reply #4 on: 09/18/06 - 01:48PM »
i have the same problem on my Tj...its even worse when pulling hills...thought it was gears at first untill i screwed around at my friends land and it popped when i cut it sharp.
I like jeeps!!!

Offline YellowCheepJeep

• Level 1
« Reply #5 on: 09/19/06 - 06:22PM »
My 2001 Wrang. has a Clink and a Clunk - I had it in the shop the beginning of Summer for 5 weeks - I think the mechanic got in over his head on the Jeeper repair - but I had the rear differential go out on Hwy. 65 - and had to be towed back in - they replaced the rear passenger side axle and the rear differential. A couple of thousand later - it's fixed other than now it Clinks and Clunks - lol - it happens when it's put into gear (it's an automatic) or if I am going in reverse backing up a hill or sometimes just when I take off from a stop light - sometimes it sounds like it comes from the front and other times it sounds like it comes from the rear.  And of course never does it when it goes back to that mechanic or when it visited Springfield Jeep.  Keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't break down again.  :confused:
Amy Allan
YellowCheepJeep

Offline OJTV8CJ

• Charter Members
  • Level 4
« Reply #6 on: 09/19/06 - 06:50PM »
Quote from: "YellowCheepJeep"
it's fixed other than now it Clinks and Clunks - lol - it happens when it's put into gear (it's an automatic) or if I am going in reverse backing up a hill or sometimes just when I take off from a stop light - sometimes it sounds like it comes from the front and other times it sounds like it comes from the rear.  And of course never does it when it goes back to that mechanic or when it visited Springfield Jeep.  Keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't break down again.  :confused:

Who did the setup on the gears?  If I was a betting man - I would say that sounds like a backlash problem.  As the gears begin to wear if the pattern is off it will just get worse and worse.  But this is the internet so ... without really looking at it I couldn't tell you exactly what it is.
I cut sheetmetal for free.  It's fixing it that get's expensive.

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #7 on: 09/19/06 - 07:00PM »
I agree with Brad.  My jeep has the same problem since the previous owner had the gears setup by someone in STL.

Offline YellowCheepJeep

• Level 1
« Reply #8 on: 09/19/06 - 07:30PM »
Sorry - I know nothing about the gears - so where do I take my little Yellow Jeep to have the gears checked out - now you all are talking mumbo jumbo - Help Help Help!!!! :bowdown:
Amy Allan
YellowCheepJeep

Offline OJTV8CJ

• Charter Members
  • Level 4
« Reply #9 on: 09/20/06 - 09:35AM »
I would probably call John's.  The reason being that he specializes in Jeeps and 4X4's.  I have used CATT, on Kearney, but that set of gears lasted about 16 months before they were junk.  They set them up wrong and I ended up buying a whole new rear axle for my truck.
I cut sheetmetal for free.  It's fixing it that get's expensive.

Offline shortfat300

« Reply #10 on: 09/20/06 - 11:51AM »
Check out the front sway bar connections.  My TJ was making some noises from the front and it took about a week to find out the stock swaybar connection had wore out.  I drove it a few more weeks until I could get the money to replace it and it completely failed/pulled the ball out of the socket.  You might look at that too.
hortfat300

Offline LibertyPatriot

• I vote for BACON!
  • Charter Members
  • Level 5
  • Web Wheeler!
« Reply #11 on: 09/20/06 - 01:17PM »
Quote from: "shortfat300"
Check out the front sway bar connections.  My TJ was making some noises from the front and it took about a week to find out the stock swaybar connection had wore out.  I drove it a few more weeks until I could get the money to replace it and it completely failed/pulled the ball out of the socket.  You might look at that too.

Our TJ did the same thing the first time I took it offroad.  I put disconnects on it after that.

Keith
I'd put something funny here, but you probably wouldn't get it anyway...

Offline Fierogld

• Level 3
  • climbin trees
« Reply #12 on: 09/20/06 - 01:28PM »
ya but mine has disconnects and it still clunks and chunks and pops and wobnbles
I like jeeps!!!