Author Topic: Random HVAC problem on 00 TJ  (Read 4776 times)

Offline SkylineTj

• Level 1
Random HVAC problem on 00 TJ
« on: 10/11/12 - 02:13AM »
Hey guys, I've been having a blast driving my Jeep since I got it back from the shop with the new motor, but I've noticed a small problem that I don't think is related to anything under the hood.

I can move the HVAC vent selector to defrost, floor, and body....and it always stays on body...even if I turn it to off.
I immediately thought vacuum problem, but then it would be stuck on the defrost vent, and I read that it would also make the cruise control not work on Jeeps, but mine is fine.

I can't really feel any resistance as I turn the knob, which makes sense if it's a system with an electronic actuator...but if it's linkage driven, that may be my problem.

What I'm wondering is, has anyone ran into this before or have any suggestions?
It's not really a huge deal, but it'll be nice to have defrost in the upcoming months, lol.

Offline SkylineTj

• Level 1
Re: Random HVAC problem on 00 TJ
« Reply #1 on: 10/11/12 - 02:34AM »
Well, after a little more searching online, I got the idea to look up a wiring diagram and found that it is an electronic system.

So if I remember right....according to that diagram, if it was the fuse, my climate control and A/C would not work, so that leads me to believe that it's the actuator itself, someone correct me if I could be wrong. lol

Offline mrfast

• Director of Photography
  • Level 4
« Reply #2 on: 10/11/12 - 08:54AM »
This is a common problem with Jeeps, do a search on www.jeepforum.com I don't think it's a hard fix.

Offline SkylineTj

• Level 1
« Reply #3 on: 10/11/12 - 02:33PM »
Ok, after reading JeepForum for an hour, and then checking all of my vacuum lines (just in case)...I finally found the problem.

The switch for the selector is broken, which allowed the small plastic piece to rotate freely instead of actually turn the selector. lol

Offline Martinez

• Club Members
  • Level 4
« Reply #4 on: 10/11/12 - 04:40PM »
At least it was a cheap and easy fix!
Take it out and play with it!

Offline Rmiller31

• Level 1
« Reply #5 on: 10/16/12 - 05:31AM »
I had this exact problem on my tj as well.  I kept a pair of needle nose pliers in the jeep and my girlfriend hated it. 

Offline SkylineTj

• Level 1
« Reply #6 on: 10/16/12 - 12:12PM »
I had this exact problem on my tj as well.  I kept a pair of needle nose pliers in the jeep and my girlfriend hated it. 
Yea, I'm going to go dig through a salvage yard or two and see if I can't find a few replacement knobs.
My fan speed selector also has a crack in it, so I'll probably just switch it out before it gives me any trouble, lol.

Offline bdb490

• Level 1
« Reply #7 on: 01/ 3/13 - 12:19PM »
Hay TJ,
Bry here. I've had this problem too, as well as the switch over-heating. I replaced the hole unit with a used one for $20 about a year ago. But now its getting hot again.  :102:

Offline LibertyPatriot

• I vote for BACON!
  • Charter Members
  • Level 5
  • Web Wheeler!
« Reply #8 on: 01/ 4/13 - 10:24PM »
Just go to Central/ Corwin Dodge and pick up new knobs. They're cheap and NEW.
I'd put something funny here, but you probably wouldn't get it anyway...