Author Topic: Winches  (Read 1726 times)

Offline Donut

• Level 1
Winches
« on: 10/31/12 - 01:43AM »
I was on Quadratec's website and their brand of winches. I read a lil about them and they seem to be pretty good . I was wondering what you guys think of them and if you had any recommendations for the same price roughly $300. I'm looking at getting a Smittybilt XRC bumper, a winch, and maybe some unibody stiffeners when taxes come next year. What do you guys think of my build plan? I found some stiffeners form T n T customs that im going to run with if budget allows. 

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
Re: Winches
« Reply #1 on: 10/31/12 - 09:17AM »
I've had great luck with my smittybilt XRC8 winch for the last few years.
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline Mo Printer

• Club Members
  • Level 3
« Reply #2 on: 10/31/12 - 11:13AM »
I put a Smittybuilt (XRC8) on my Jeep with my original build and loved it!  The only downside is that it spools pretty slow.  But the price is right and I used it a lot more than I ever expected to and it never let me down.
Mo Printer

Offline Donut

• Level 1
« Reply #3 on: 10/31/12 - 12:21PM »
Thanks for the input Aaron and Steve! Now I feel better about since someone I know has bought one before. I'm also planning up a design for a swing out tire carrier, but if I have the time to build it will be the question. What do you guys think of my build plan so far? Anything I should add? Also I got a guy who might trade my 32's for his 33's.
« Last Edit: 10/31/12 - 12:26PM by Donut »

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #4 on: 10/31/12 - 03:58PM »
I'd leave the 32's unless regearing and more lift is in your future.  Add a winch is fine idea for everyone.  However I would make sure I have my rig as dependable as possible. 

We all get plagued with failures and the more preventative maintenance we can do the better.  U joints, fluids, rod ends, are all wear items that should be checked after buying a vehicle.
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline Donut

• Level 1
« Reply #5 on: 11/ 1/12 - 12:01AM »
I just did a oil change and air filter change, going to do a gear oil change in the tcase and axles and going to check the spiders while I do that. Also its going to get a tune up i.e. new plugs. wires, cap. etc... Anyone recommend a battery? It's got a new one from Wal-mart when I got it.

Offline Donut

• Level 1
« Reply #6 on: 11/ 1/12 - 12:04AM »
Hey Aaron how do you replace a seal on the tcase? I've never done one before mine leaks a lil at the seal. Also the u joints how would you replace those and what would you recommend as far as strength and bang for the buck value?
« Last Edit: 11/ 1/12 - 12:07AM by Donut »

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #7 on: 11/ 1/12 - 09:37AM »
If you put a new battery from wal-mart in it then run it.  THey are fine and there is always a walmart around to swap it out at.

For U joints you can run Brute Force from auto zone or buy spicers online and install them.  If uncomfortable doing ujoints powertrain industries doesn't charge much to swap them.  Just check them and see if they are good/bad.

Offline Mo Printer

• Club Members
  • Level 3
« Reply #8 on: 11/ 1/12 - 10:34AM »
As far as Spicers, I've always ordered them from Carl at Powertrain as well.  I haven't compared their prices to on-line, but I like to keep it local when I can and they've always treated me right price-wise on the stuff they've done for me (rebuilt double cardens, drive shaft work, etc.).
Rick or Carl at Powertrain Ind. 863-1830
Mo Printer

Offline Donut

• Level 1
« Reply #9 on: 11/ 1/12 - 11:20PM »
I'll give them a call and see what they charge as far as install goes and I've read up on changinging out ujoints and they all seem pretty simlar easiest way I saw was to use two sockets. Guess I could try it on an old ujoint so I dont mess anything I'm always down for learning something new.  Thanks for the info guys I got a parts list going right now.