Author Topic: Tire issues  (Read 1860 times)

Offline Rayster

• Level 1
Tire issues
« on: 11/ 6/12 - 08:11PM »
Those of you that run larger tires, must have had some bad experiences with tire shops.  The scrutiny of a light vehicle and the 35's, is beyond irritating.  I won't mention the bad tire shops that I won't return to.  However, after a rotation, I had a (what I consider) bad vibration.  The shop swears they did a good balance and it must be something else.  So, I figure a bad tire, for 30 days or so... 

I go to Chappels Tire, they charge me $40 to balance all.  They tell me one was way out of balance, "ya don't say" I reply.  I pay them and the vibration is gone. 

So who else are knowledgeable and won't give you some load of crap, just so they can get away with the bare minimum effort for their money? 

Thanks for your time,
« Last Edit: 11/ 6/12 - 09:21PM by Rayster »

Offline SkylineTj

• Level 1
Re: Tire issues
« Reply #1 on: 11/ 6/12 - 09:44PM »
I work at Sear's Auto Center at the mall, and I make sure that all of the balances I do are in spec before they head out of the door, especially on the bigger tires.
I put 4 tires on Chris Martinez' truck and he seems to like the ride pretty well, so he can vouch, lol.

If your Jeep is the black 2 door with the spare tire cover of the smiley in your avatar, I think I've seen it before if you've taken it to Sear's, but I haven't worked on it personally.

If you ever bring it by, just ask for T.J. and I'll make sure it's taken care of and done right.

Offline Rayster

• Level 1
« Reply #2 on: 11/ 6/12 - 10:15PM »
Yeah man,

I bought a Die Hard Platinum II there, and had it installed.  It's the best battery I have seen.  They did rotate my tires, but the tire issue turned up a few months later.

thanks
« Last Edit: 11/ 6/12 - 10:17PM by Rayster »

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #3 on: 11/ 7/12 - 09:34AM »
Something to keep in mind isn't that they didn't balance properly but often times with the amount of weight larger tires take is losing a weight. 

I do feel your pain and some shops shouldn't do the work as they don't care to follow through.
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline 67alecto

• Level 2
« Reply #4 on: 11/ 7/12 - 02:25PM »
JBC over on Republic Rd has had my business for the last 5 years for my Magnum and now my Jeep.

I didn't have any issues with Sears either (JBC didn't have the tires in stock for my wife's Stratus) - they set me up with some good tires and I didn't have any issues after the alignment and balancing.

Offline Donut

• Level 1
« Reply #5 on: 11/ 8/12 - 02:04AM »
Tailpipers in Billings is a good place to go. I always have them mount the wieghts on the inside of the wheel vs the outside. Less chance of a rock or trail debris ripping it off.

Offline Liberty03

• Level 3
« Reply #6 on: 11/17/12 - 11:49AM »
I run the dynamic balancing beads in my tires.  They will continually balance the tire.  When you have a 15/16/17" (whatever) wheel and a tire that is well over twice that diameter you have such a large distance from the rim to the tread that traditional weights have a hard time compensating.  Also, I have a good friend that is an OTR truck driver and he runs the beads in his steer tires and has gained 20k miles out of a set after using the beads.  http://www.innovativebalancing.com/index.php 

Offline 340YJ

• Club Members
  • Level 1
« Reply #7 on: 11/30/12 - 06:48AM »
well i got tired of all the tire shops overcharging so i just invested in my own tire machines i was spending over 200 a week having tires mounted figured i would have the machines payed off in 3 months