Author Topic: CB noise advice  (Read 2807 times)

Offline jfair

• Level 1
CB noise advice
« on: 01/26/13 - 04:32PM »
Installed a new Cobra cb and antenna...my electric fan on the jeep causes noise issues with this setup. The antenna has good ground to frame and I have filters on power supply to the cb...I even tried different ground and power locations but cannot stop the noise...anyone have suggestions before smash it with a hammer??

Offline Rayster

• Level 1
Re: CB noise advice
« Reply #1 on: 01/26/13 - 04:45PM »
Is this on your 90 YJ?  I will look for a schematic for the wiring.  Are your power lines directly to the battery?  I take it; that you know it's the fan because you can unplug it and the problem goes away?

I'm not finding anything.  If you don't figure it out, I'll be glad to have a look.
« Last Edit: 01/26/13 - 04:54PM by Rayster »

Offline jfair

• Level 1
« Reply #2 on: 01/26/13 - 05:05PM »
Yep the YJ...I tried power direct from batt and ground from batt. Then power from fuse panel and ground from chassis but no luck.

Offline jfair

• Level 1
« Reply #3 on: 01/26/13 - 05:08PM »
Yes it is the fan making the noise.. .as soon as it kicks in the CB is over ran by it

Offline Rayster

• Level 1
« Reply #4 on: 01/26/13 - 05:20PM »
I'll do some research and get back to you.  Unfortunately I'm at work today, so it may be a while.

Offline jfair

• Level 1
« Reply #5 on: 01/26/13 - 05:36PM »
Thanks for the help...I really am in no rush ...hitting smorr in a week or two do I have plenty of time.

Offline jfair

• Level 1
« Reply #6 on: 01/26/13 - 05:51PM »
I do have plenty of time...hate tying on cell phones..

Offline Rayster

• Level 1
« Reply #7 on: 01/27/13 - 12:02AM »
What model is that cobra.?

Offline jfair

• Level 1
« Reply #8 on: 01/27/13 - 12:29PM »
19 DX 4

Offline Rayster

• Level 1
« Reply #9 on: 01/28/13 - 12:08PM »

I found this off another and they are some good suggestions;
-Is it possible when you changed the battery you hooked the negative cable to the battery before you hooked up the positive cable? (Just going through elimination process)...(not good for sensitive electronics). If so, disconnect both cables for 3-5 minutes and re-connect. Positive cable first, Negative cable last.
- Did you connect your CB power lead to one of the lugs coming off the clamp that goes to the positive battery post? If so, connect CB feed to the battery post clamp nut vs. one lugs coming off that clamp. (do this while the battery is completely dis-connected).
- a CB ground wire directly to the negative battery post clamp would be the best choice.
- make sure your antenna is grounded with a wire from the base of the antenna to a clean frame ground.
- How about installing an in-line diode at the CB feed wire coming off the battery. That way you would eliminate the possibility of feedback to the battery when the Mic is keyed. A diode capable of handling 5-10 amps should be more than enough for a Cobra Just after the diode, (between diode and CB) I'd suggest installing a 5 amp in-line fuse.

I suggest you use di-electric grease on all connections....inside and outside the Jeep - including antenna grounds.

I haven't installed a CB yet....I just got my Jeep a week and a half ago. Just throwing out some ideas for consideration. Hope it helps.

Offline jfair

• Level 1
« Reply #10 on: 01/28/13 - 07:16PM »
Will start at the top of the list and try all of these steps..thanks for the input

Offline Rayster

• Level 1
« Reply #11 on: 01/28/13 - 09:09PM »
I would be glad to lend a hand on a weekend. 

Offline jfair

• Level 1
« Reply #12 on: 01/28/13 - 09:14PM »
May end up taking you up on that.

Offline Rayster

• Level 1
« Reply #13 on: 02/ 8/13 - 02:26AM »
How is the battle to find the problem?

Offline jfair

• Level 1
« Reply #14 on: 02/ 8/13 - 07:27AM »
Well I used hand radios last weekend but after Smorr froze over I have other issues such as a leaking fuel tank that I need to fix. I think we are going again in a couple of weeks so maybe before then I will jump back into it. Until then I guess it atleast looks pretty sitting in the jeep :)