Author Topic: Corner guards on TJ  (Read 1950 times)

Offline hotshot

• Level 1
Corner guards on TJ
« on: 06/11/09 - 03:36PM »
Well, I've painted and installed the corners that I bought from Jimmy and I'm very happy with them.  One thing though for anyone else installing corners; if you use flush mount LED lights keep in mind that on 03+ TJs there is an evap canister about a half inch from the back panel on the passenger side.  That was a bit of a surprise after I cut the 4.5 inch hole.  The lights I bought required about 1 inch for clearance.  I found a writeup for moving the evap canister on stu-offroad;  http://www.stu-offroad.com/engine/evapcan/evapcan-1.htm.  It added some time to the install but was pretty simple to do.

I need to figure out something for reverse lights; I'm thinking of mounting some to the cross bar of my tire carrier.  I also need to add a light for the license plate. 

Other things to keep in mind;
  • I did the install myself but having another set of hands to hold things while you drill holes would be helpful
  • You can cut the hole for the lights with a 4.5 in hole cut bit ($40 at lowes) or a jig saw like I did
  • Be careful cutting the passenger side hole, the evap canister is very close to the back panel; best bet is to remove it before you cut since you'll have to remove it to drill a new hole for the move
  • If you use a jig saw to cut you'll need to remove the tailgate when you do the passenger side
  • Install the passenger side corner guard while the evap canister is out; it will make reaching all the bolt holes easier
  • You can use one of the bolts holding the corner guards on for the ground wire on the tail lights

Couple pics of the finished product (still need to add a couple of the bolts):

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
Re: Corner guards on TJ
« Reply #1 on: 06/11/09 - 05:06PM »
Those are some fine looking corners! Good Job Mark. Did you fix your blinkers from blinking fast yet? I believe that is covered on Stu's site too.
EVERY NORMAL MAN MUST BE TEMPTED AT TIMES TO SPIT ON HIS HANDS, HOIST THE BLACK FLAG, AND BEGIN SLITTING THROATS.

Offline hotshot

• Level 1
« Reply #2 on: 06/11/09 - 06:19PM »
Those are some fine looking corners! Good Job Mark. Did you fix your blinkers from blinking fast yet? I believe that is covered on Stu's site too.

http://www.stu-offroad.com/electrical/led1/led-4.htm

Gonna do this tonight after a quick trip to radio shack.

Offline Jeeper guy

• Level 3
  • OINK
« Reply #3 on: 06/12/09 - 03:48AM »
Looking good.... DO you just have to get a flasher relay for the blinking problem?
First you crawl, then you walk, then you drive, then you crawl again....

Offline KURT Feely

« Reply #4 on: 08/25/12 - 01:26PM »
Well, I've painted and installed the corners that I bought from Jimmy and I'm very happy with them.  One thing though for anyone else installing corners; if you use flush mount LED lights http://www.niceledlights.com keep in mind that on 03+ TJs there is an evap canister about a half inch from the back panel on the passenger side.  That was a bit of a surprise after I cut the 4.5 inch hole.  The lights I bought required about 1 inch for clearance.  I found a writeup for moving the evap canister on stu-offroad;  http://www.stu-offroad.com/engine/evapcan/evapcan-1.htm.  It added some time to the install but was pretty simple to do.

I need to figure out something for
reverse lights; I'm thinking of mounting some to the cross bar of my tire carrier.  I also need to add a light for the license plate. 

Other things to keep in mind;
  • I did the install myself but having another set of hands to hold things while you drill holes would be helpful
  • You can cut the hole for the lights with a 4.5 in hole cut bit ($40 at lowes) or a jig saw like I did
  • Be careful cutting the passenger side hole, the evap canister is very close to the back panel; best bet is to remove it before you cut since you'll have to remove it to drill a new hole for the move
  • If you use a jig saw to cut you'll need to remove the tailgate when you do the passenger side
  • Install the passenger side corner guard while the evap canister is out; it will make reaching all the bolt holes easier
  • You can use one of the bolts holding the corner guards on for the ground wire on the tail lights

Couple pics of the finished product (still need to add a couple of the bolts):

I really liked those lights.
« Last Edit: 08/29/12 - 03:43AM by KURT Feely »