Author Topic: Question from a newbe  (Read 1203 times)

Offline awall

Question from a newbe
« on: 01/ 4/08 - 07:19PM »
I am new to this forum and will be getting my first Jeep soon. I will be looking for a 2 door Cherokee. I would prefer the 4.0 motor but I think the 4 cyl would be ok with a 5 speed but I am not sure of the best setup for this. I will be using this for doing some trail rides. I don't plan on doing any rock climbing or anything real rugged and I want to keep it mostly stock. I would be looking at a 3 or 4 inch lift with 31-10.50's or something close to that. I do not want to get into having to replace driveline, differential or transfer case. So my question to all you experts is, What should I be looking for and what should I stay away from? Such as which engine to get or stay away from, what year vehicle is the best choice and which years to avoid. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I will be checking out your club in the very near future.

Thanks for the help, Al

Offline OldYJ

• Charter Members
  • Level 5
Re: Question from a newbe
« Reply #1 on: 01/ 4/08 - 07:32PM »
Ii am sure some of the xj guys will chime in. but if it was me I would only be looking at 6cld. pref. a ho I think 91 or 92
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from
those who are willing to work and give to those who would not"
Thomas Jefferson

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #2 on: 01/ 4/08 - 07:49PM »
I know where a black 2 door is at.. cheap  @700 bucks.. but it has no title. pm me and I can get the guys info to you. I don't know much about it... just know it's for sale.
« Last Edit: 01/ 4/08 - 07:53PM by whitehead »
EVERY NORMAL MAN MUST BE TEMPTED AT TIMES TO SPIT ON HIS HANDS, HOIST THE BLACK FLAG, AND BEGIN SLITTING THROATS.

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #3 on: 01/ 4/08 - 07:50PM »
Stick with a 4.0.  The mileage isn't much different especially when you start adding a taller tire even a 31 you will like the 4.0 a lot more. 

Just watch all the jeep boards around this area and something always pops up.
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline JacksFork

• SMORR
  • Club Members
  • Level 3
« Reply #4 on: 01/ 5/08 - 03:08AM »
Give Phil a shout......he knows more about XJ's than anyone i know. He wheels one and works on and builds quit a few. website http://wilderness4x4.com/  or for quicker response give him a shout 417-468-2339. He owns Phils auto repair and wilderness 4x4 in Marshfield.

Brandon
SMORR
www.smorr.net
SOUTHERN MISSOURI OFF ROAD RANCH
http://www.smorr.net

CHECK OUT OUR FACEBOOK FAN PAGE!!
http://smorr.net/facebook

Offline awall

« Reply #5 on: 01/ 5/08 - 07:01PM »
Thanks guys for all the responses. I'll get with Phil and see what he can tell me. I should be able to find him ok since I also live in Marshfield.  Thanks