Author Topic: on board air  (Read 1413 times)

Offline Welds Naked

• Level 1
on board air
« on: 08/19/10 - 09:26AM »
just got a quick question:

what is everybody using for on-board air? powertrax tanks or like? Vlair electric compressor or like? Kilby or a/c like compressor?

i look a doing something with a scuba tank but it does hold 3000psi...which makes me mostly nervous carrying that much pressure along with the weight of the tank. thought about http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbeer/tanks/co2/C20.shtml but the flow from the regulators, isnt all that great. yes can be modified. The electric compressors are kinda cheap, but the duty cycle sucks unless you get the high dollar one. The kilby is nice but very expensive, unlimited duty cycle, but i want to keep my A/C unit that i have.

im greatful for the input.
i like shiny things

Offline CRAZY LARRY

• Charter Members
  • Level 3
Re: on board air
« Reply #1 on: 08/19/10 - 09:49AM »
I use the a/c unit for air.
Zombie brains; smells like fish taste like chicken.

Offline TJ-2thousand

• Level 4
  • When in doubt, throttle out!!!
« Reply #2 on: 08/19/10 - 10:50AM »
look at getting an out of date 45 minute SCBA  (self contained breathing aperatus) bottle from a fire station. they hold 4500psi, and i have never seen one fail. they are built for extreme heat and abuse. i dont think you could ever destroy one. the new ones are carbon fiber and VERY light. you can still find steel, and aluminum too.
CAMPING WITHOUT BEER IS JUST SLEEPING OUTSIDE!

Offline Kkow

• Club Members
  • Level 1
« Reply #3 on: 08/20/10 - 12:06PM »
I run a york 210 compressor. Its not that expensive if you only buy the kilby bracket and piece the rest together. My compressor came off of eBay, I payed less then $100 shipped and it came with the correct clutch pulley.   
Street Trail is sweet!

Offline cousin

• Level 1
« Reply #4 on: 08/21/10 - 02:18PM »
It's highly unlikely you will damage a "scuba" cylinder, I would suggest going with an aluminum cylinder instead of a steel.  I wouldn't store it in the direct sun light and you'll be fine, we have been very abusive to them and never had an issue.  Before you go buy a HP4500, make sure someone has the ability to fill it.  My shops compressors cap out about 3500. 

Remember you will have to have it hydro'd every 5 years and a visual every year, things like that tend to add up. 

Offline OldYJ

• Charter Members
  • Level 5
« Reply #5 on: 10/ 5/10 - 03:03PM »
I have the Kilby and still have AC. 
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from
those who are willing to work and give to those who would not"
Thomas Jefferson

Offline bigjeep2

• Level 2
« Reply #6 on: 12/18/10 - 01:36PM »
Kilby is a good way to go if you want to keep your a/c if you have it. You can buy different levels of kit depending on what you want/need. Really is a great system.

I would not recommend an SCBA bottle from a fire department, the are expensive($400-$500) to get regulators for. You have to have the regulator to get it down to 120psi instead of 4500. We use them for 120psi air bags and have the special regulator but then again we are a fire department.
Yeah I gots a jeep, and yes I understand. I also have a car.