Author Topic: Drop Pitman Arm and steering stabilzers  (Read 1569 times)

Offline D

Drop Pitman Arm and steering stabilzers
« on: 11/ 6/10 - 10:10PM »
I just got my 01 Wrangler lifted with a 4" Rough Country, I know we can debate the lift but was all I could afford for now. My front end was all jacked up and went to my alignment guy who said they should of put on a dropped pitman arm to level out the steering. I called and found out that Rough Country doesn't include the pitman arm on the 4" lift. Is this something I need to do? I have stock tires and wheels currently and looks silly. My 32 X 11.5 KO's are back ordered for 60 days. What about a steering stabilizer?

Offline mrfast

• Director of Photography
  • Level 4
Re: Drop Pitman Arm and steering stabilzers
« Reply #1 on: 11/ 7/10 - 04:24AM »
First off here is my disclaimer, this is just my opinion on what I have read and learned from my own experience!

If you haven't relocated your front track bar (some of the rough country lift kits come with a bracket to lower the mounting point) you do not need a dropped pitman arm. The pitman arm and the track bar should run pretty parallel to each other.

Offline D

« Reply #2 on: 11/ 9/10 - 07:58PM »
Great, thanks for info.

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #3 on: 11/ 9/10 - 09:32PM »
The advice is correct.  A drop pitman arm helps keep steering in phase with a relocated trac bar.
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline D

« Reply #4 on: 11/11/10 - 06:07PM »
OK Thanks

Offline TJ-2thousand

• Level 4
  • When in doubt, throttle out!!!
« Reply #5 on: 11/13/10 - 12:45PM »
i have 3 inches of lift, and my track bar is in the stock location. i am running a stock pitman arm. i have a rancho 5000 steering stabilizer, and it all works just fine.
CAMPING WITHOUT BEER IS JUST SLEEPING OUTSIDE!

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #6 on: 11/13/10 - 01:42PM »
Which matches what's said above, you can have neither or both.  Having 1 and not the other is where you run into issues.  Also with having 3" and stock track bar your front axle is going to be shifted to the drivers side unless you redrilled your attachment point.
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato