Author Topic: Sig 26 vs. Glock 17 ?????  (Read 1638 times)

Offline TanYJ

• Level 4
Sig 26 vs. Glock 17 ?????
« on: 12/25/08 - 01:15PM »
Need some real world feedback from folks that have shot both, preferably.  I own a Glock 17, & have read some decent feedback on the Sig.  I have some Christmas cash burning a hole in my pocket & was thinking of a Sig.  I've shot the Glock a couple of times & like it a lot.  It handles nicely & shoots great.  Plus it's fairly braindead to use.  Pick it up and squeeze the trigger.

Also, is there a range around here that will rent a sig for an hour or so to get some hands on exp. to aide in making a decision?  I am only interested in a 9mm, but i would shoot the .40 if that's all i can get my hands on to try a sig.  Go ahead & flame.  Thanks for any/all input.
J-ust.................It's
E-mpty.............Hip
E-very............To be
P-ocket.........[-]====[-]
.....The second mouse gets the cheese.....
"Skinny models, you can keep those..I like big corn-fed mid-western ho's"

Offline Fierogld

• Level 3
  • climbin trees
Re: Sig 26 vs. Glock 17 ?????
« Reply #1 on: 12/27/08 - 12:57PM »
Its hard to beat a glock.  Ive shot both and seemed to like the glock better.  Besides its what all the cops use so you know its got something going for it.  Not sure why you would prefer a 9 over a 40 tho, they have a similar kick and the 40 is supposed to have more stopping power.  Dont hate me if im wrong, thats just what i think
LATA
Ryan
I like jeeps!!!

Offline Twizted

• Level 1
« Reply #2 on: 12/28/08 - 12:26PM »
  I used to have a glock 19c, I loved it. It shot very well and was easy to use and carry. I then upgraded to the HK USP .40. It also shot very well, although not as precise as my glock. I did like the .40 better tho. I then shot a springfield XD .40. I got rid of the USP and now own the XD. It was quite a noticable difference in comfort, accuracy, and much more user friendly. I have a friend that had a Sig 9 at the same time I had my HK. His was easier to shoot than my HK and accuracy was on par with it. To me it was a little bulky for just a 9. I preferred my Glock over it. He also shot a XD 9 when I tried the XD 40. He traded his for the XD as well.
  As far as the Glock vs Sig, I preferred the glock. But if you have real big hands that swallow the glock than I would go with the Sig, it may be more comfortable. But if your open to other models, check out the XD, they also have a new model out the XDM, it's going to be my next purchase.

Offline j2sax

• Club Members
  • Level 3
« Reply #3 on: 12/29/08 - 02:30AM »
I can understand the preference for the 9MM.  It's lighter, carries more rounds, tad cheaper to fire.  From what I am told the stopping power is about the same inside 25-30 feet (speed a little higher with the 9, I believe {force = Mass X Velocity]) but outside of that the 40 packs a bit more.  Most encounters at the civilian level are going to be in initial range. 

Call me a jingoist, but I am purchasing soon and I am prefer to buy from the USA.  You cannot knock the Glock, but I want to give the home team support and they have some AWEsome options out there right now. 

I like the S & W/ M & P 9 MM line you can get 17 rounds in the standard mag; no extension necessary and it's a 24 oz gun !  I haven't fired one yet, but from those with experience they said it was solid and smooth... good consistent placement.  Also they come with 3 interchangeable grips to give you some options for comfort and stability.  The compact version, for c&c gives you 12 rounds in a 21 oz package. 

The other option for me is the XD(M).  They just started shipping the 9's.  I have fired the 40 and it was just about perfect for me.  The 9's get NINETEEN ROUNDS (+1) in the standard clip.  It is a 32 oz gun and pretty big for c & c, if that's what you are looking for.  8 Oz's difference between the two doesn't sound like much, but it is a 33% weight gain... guess it depends on how long you plan on carrying.  Also has interchangeable back strap (rear of the grip) options. 

The XD(M) has some great safety features as well.  Right now they are coming with two extra mags and mag holster!

I am hoping to pop some with the XD and M & P 9's this week and make my decision.  The SIG is a good option is well, but I did not like the feel.  If you are really leaning toward the Glock, go try one of the XD(M)'s... it may surprise you!  Use the extra $200 to buy some accessories! 

I am probably giving wayyy too much info and rambling (it's late).  Let us know what you decide and how you like it! 
Jesse, Near Sparta, MO FSJ/AMC Freak<br />Wag w/ 6" lift 360/727/229 (208 soon) <br />2 J10s, 2 J20s, 4 Door J20 Project, Lots of Wags<br />73 Commando on Wag Frame, 79 AMX, Several Eagles

Offline Mo Printer

• Club Members
  • Level 3
« Reply #4 on: 12/31/08 - 05:02PM »
I've been looking at the Springfield Armory XD(m) in 9mm.  I've heard nothing but great things about it, and the price is right ($600+)!  Does anyone know what is different between the XD & the XD(m) in 9mm?  I know the XD(m) has a 19 round clip, but I haven't found out what else is new.  P.S.- if anyone's interested, SA is offering 2 free clips with either style 'til Jan. 15!
Mo Printer

Offline Twizted

• Level 1
« Reply #5 on: 01/ 1/09 - 11:05PM »
Alot changed with the new model of the XDM. Barrel is now match grade and a little longer, replaceable backstraps, and easier disassembly are the ones I remember off the top of my head. It is bigger but unless it is a dedicated and constant conceal carry weapon the pros far out way the cons.

Anyone wanna buy a XD .40 so I can buy a XDM .40?  :)