Author Topic: TJ tummy tuck  (Read 10711 times)

Offline hotshot

• Level 1
TJ tummy tuck
« on: 03/23/09 - 05:35PM »
Who has experience with a TJ tummy tuck?  I'd like to do it without a body lift if possible and I think this AEV one is the way to go:

https://secure.aev-conversions.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=NTH14031AA

I'd also get the transmission skid plate:

https://secure.aev-conversions.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=NTH14700AA

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: 03/23/09 - 06:11PM by hotshot »

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
Re: TJ tummy tuck
« Reply #1 on: 03/23/09 - 05:59PM »
I've put them on.  I've always used a body lift.  It's very hard to get it flat without doing so since it gets into the floor board.  Whatever brand Derf is running was very nice when I looked at it.
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline hotshot

• Level 1
« Reply #2 on: 03/23/09 - 06:10PM »
Yeah, the instructions for the AEV one have you put a dimple in the floor above the transfer case and using a pry bar on the body flange above the bellhousing to create enough clearance. 

Does Derf come on here very often?  I'd like to know what he's using.

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #3 on: 03/23/09 - 06:13PM »
He's on a bit. Best bet is to hollar at him during the meeting.
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline derf1184

• Level 1
« Reply #4 on: 03/23/09 - 07:09PM »
I have a Jeep Medic tummy tuck and engine skid seen here http://ozarksjeepthing.com/c/index.php/topic,4805.msg35927.html#msg35927

I would recommend it, but unfortunately the company that made them went out of business a while ago.

I did install the 1" body lift and would recommend it.  The biggest advantage to this is that you can do a motor mount lift at the same time and it will help your rear driveshaft angle.  If you raise the t-case and leave the engine, you will probably need a new rear driveshaft if you have more than a couple inches of lift.

Offline map93heep

• Level 3
« Reply #5 on: 03/23/09 - 10:02PM »
I bought Kilbys tummy tuck and engine skid. If can wait a couple of weeks I will tell how well it works. I also bought 33 Engineering transmission mount that is suppose to eliminate the need for the 1" body lift. I don't know if I will still have to dimple the floorpan or not.
« Last Edit: 03/23/09 - 10:04PM by map93heep »

Offline Bradman

• Level 4
  • II've got a buzz and a woody, and I'm ready to go!
« Reply #6 on: 03/23/09 - 10:43PM »
PM HVACMASTER  He did a belly up a few years ago.  It turnrd out real nice
1999 TJ  2.5 inch Rancho Rockrawler lift  33inch BFG's  Loc-Rites front and rear!<br /><br />Ranch Rocker!<br />http://smorr.net/images/ranch_rockers_avatar50.png

Offline hotshot

• Level 1
« Reply #7 on: 03/24/09 - 01:04AM »
I bought Kilbys tummy tuck and engine skid. If can wait a couple of weeks I will tell how well it works. I also bought 33 Engineering transmission mount that is suppose to eliminate the need for the 1" body lift. I don't know if I will still have to dimple the floorpan or not.

I really like Kilby products and I'm looking forward to seeing your setup.  Another one I'm looking at is the Rokmen.  It's beefier but more expensive:

http://www.rokmen.com/products/skid_plates/up_armor_skids/up_armor_skids.html

Offline hotshot

• Level 1
« Reply #8 on: 03/24/09 - 01:10AM »
I did install the 1" body lift and would recommend it.  The biggest advantage to this is that you can do a motor mount lift at the same time and it will help your rear driveshaft angle.  If you raise the t-case and leave the engine, you will probably need a new rear driveshaft if you have more than a couple inches of lift.

I plan on getting a CV driveshaft and adjustable control arms to fix the increased driveshaft angle.  I was hoping that would be enough.

Offline FlameRed08

• Level 3
« Reply #9 on: 03/24/09 - 01:25AM »
I plan on getting a CV driveshaft and adjustable control arms to fix the increased driveshaft angle.  I was hoping that would be enough.

That's the thing... it's NEVER enough!  8)
2008 JK Unlimited X, Flame Red, 4" Superlift, Shrockworks Rails, Elements doors, etc.

Offline hotshot

• Level 1
« Reply #10 on: 03/25/09 - 02:26AM »
You know what's dangerous?  Desire and an internet connection.  I've now got a spreadsheet with about 9k in upgrades lined out, and that was in just one afternoon.

Of course it's a wish list but now I'm dreaming of a stretched coil-over setup.....

I wish I was rich and knew how to weld.

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #11 on: 03/25/09 - 02:31AM »
Wait until the tool budget exceeds the parts budget! 

Bolts on aren't nearly as cool as being able to say I built that! 

Offline hotshot

• Level 1
« Reply #12 on: 03/25/09 - 02:42AM »
If I can ever sell the house in St. Louis I'm going to build a garage and it will include a shop.  Right now all I've got is a crappy car port and shed so no real place to work on or store things.....

I'd love to get into fabrication.  I've been reading endless pages of builds on pirate4x4.  Some of that stuff is mind blowing.

Offline CRAZY LARRY

• Charter Members
  • Level 3
« Reply #13 on: 03/25/09 - 02:46AM »
you can never have to many tool or a shop that is to big.
Zombie brains; smells like fish taste like chicken.

Offline hotshot

• Level 1
« Reply #14 on: 03/25/09 - 02:47AM »
Well you'd need a big shop to fit your jeep in there; more like a barn.