Author Topic: engine starting Questions  (Read 3482 times)

Offline Jeeper guy

• Level 3
  • OINK
Re: engine starting Questions
« Reply #15 on: 05/19/09 - 02:20PM »
yes, i think you can move it one just one tooth. when im at tdc, i check by pulling the first plug and sticking a screwdriver through the plug hole and feel when it is at tdc, not sure if im at exhaust or intake stroke though??? when you say move the plug wires, just switch them around one at a time like 1 and 4?

First you crawl, then you walk, then you drive, then you crawl again....

Offline OJTV8CJ

• Charter Members
  • Level 4
« Reply #16 on: 05/19/09 - 02:23PM »
Sounds like you are on the right stroke for TDC.  When I say move the plug wires just move all of them by one position on the cap.  That will tell you whether to timing is too far one way or the other.  Then you can try to move the distibutor by one tooth to alleviate the problem.
I cut sheetmetal for free.  It's fixing it that get's expensive.

Offline Jeeper guy

• Level 3
  • OINK
« Reply #17 on: 05/19/09 - 02:34PM »
alright ill give that a shot.

thanks Alex

Offline OJTV8CJ

• Charter Members
  • Level 4
« Reply #18 on: 05/19/09 - 02:53PM »
No problem.  It is just a process of elimination, and your getting closer.

Offline Jeeper guy

• Level 3
  • OINK
« Reply #19 on: 05/20/09 - 04:04AM »
hell yeah hell yea hell yeah woohoo i got the 4 banger stanger started tonight. I fiddled around with the timing, check all vac lines and played with the plug wires, and she fired right up! :D :shooting: :bawkbawk: The engine idles at about 1500-1800 rpm, it had over 80lbs of oil pressure and was temp between 210 an 250? i figured the high idle was from a vac leak? not sure about the high oil pressure and temp, my radiator is not the cleanest so i think I'm gunna replace it or get it cleaned... Thanks for your help Larry and ojtv8cj and keeping me believing i could get it going! woot woot :77: Thanks again guys

Alex

Offline OJTV8CJ

• Charter Members
  • Level 4
« Reply #20 on: 05/20/09 - 11:02AM »

On the temperature, make sure that you don't have any air in the cooling system.  Sometimes after swapping motors you get air in the system and it will go to the highest point in the cooling system and block the passage.  I don't remember whether the 4 cyl have a port on the water neck to alleviate this or not.  It could be the fan clutch or like you said the radiator being dirty.  One thing that you can do is put a box fan in front of the radiator when you have it idling to force more air thru the radiator.

Oil pressure sounds really high.  Get a mechanical gauge and make sure that it isn't just the sender.

What did you do to get it started?

Offline Jeeper guy

• Level 3
  • OINK
« Reply #21 on: 05/20/09 - 03:06PM »
Well i came home after graduation and eating a big dinner, and really didn't wanna work on it, but decided to give it a shot anyways. I found that i had one vac line disconnected, the one that goes to the map sensor i believe, its on the firewall right above the valve  cover. I also switched some plug wires, and adjusted the timing and bang she started up, I said some words.... and i ran inside yelling i got it started ha ha. This was all bout midnight or so and i was about to call it quits for the night, i had my garage door up and i live in a neighborhood, and it was sooo loud without the exhaust I'm sure i woke some people up.

Alex

Offline OJTV8CJ

• Charter Members
  • Level 4
« Reply #22 on: 05/20/09 - 04:19PM »
i had my garage door up and i live in a neighborhood, and it was sooo loud without the exhaust I'm sure i woke some people up.

So your "that" guy!! LOL

I start my Jeep up with open headers in my garage all the time and clear it out a couple of times before I shut it off! 

I am "that" guy too.

Good Job.

Offline Jeeper guy

• Level 3
  • OINK
« Reply #23 on: 05/20/09 - 04:42PM »
I'm a little surprised i didn't get the sheriff called on me i let it run for 5-10 minutes, One of my neighbors came out on there front porch and just glared at me... so i revved it up a little ha ha... I got some new parts ordered today new plug wires, cap and rotor,throttle body gasket(i think that is where the vac leak is comming from), radiator hoses, and some other little stuff. i think the high oil pressure is due to the different sending unit or the new oil pump, I might try my old sending unit on there to see if that makes a difference? The motor also misses when i give it gas, timing issue? At least it is running now! :)

Offline calebsxj

• Level 1
« Reply #24 on: 05/20/09 - 05:24PM »
Congrats Man! 8)

Offline OJTV8CJ

• Charter Members
  • Level 4
« Reply #25 on: 05/20/09 - 05:52PM »
Replace the wires, cap and plugs.  That should take care of the miss.  Timing shouldn't effect missing in just one cylinder.

Offline Jeeper guy

• Level 3
  • OINK
« Reply #26 on: 05/21/09 - 04:10AM »
well it still idles a little high at 1000 rpm's but thats still better than 1500 or so. But as soon as it rev's to 2000 is starts stumbling, kinda like it misses, sputters? I have no clue why it would do that? Got new cap, and plug wires and the plugs were new. It runs a little cooler now but still high, prolly air in the system... the oil pressure, ??? not sure what to think of it, as soon as i turn the ignition to accesories it jumps to 80 ill put the old gauge on it.

Thanks caleb.

Alex

Offline OJTV8CJ

• Charter Members
  • Level 4
« Reply #27 on: 05/21/09 - 02:10PM »
The stumbling is probably a timing issue.  If it is an ignition miss it will miss at idle and then smooth out as you rev it up.  A timing issue is what you are describing, but the only way to really tell is with a timing light.  Could be the learning curve on the ECM, or the fact that the exhaust isn't hooked up and the O2 sensor isn't hooked up yet.  IIRC, the O2 sensor with definitely wack them out pretty good.

I would guess that the sending unit is bad. 

Offline Jeeper guy

• Level 3
  • OINK
« Reply #28 on: 05/21/09 - 06:13PM »
well exhaust is now hooked up and there wasnt a change. I think im gunna go for a test drive and see what i find.

Alex

Offline CRAZY LARRY

• Charter Members
  • Level 3
« Reply #29 on: 05/21/09 - 06:55PM »
disconecet the battery to clear the code on the ECM.
Zombie brains; smells like fish taste like chicken.