Author Topic: Trying to get high....  (Read 2312 times)

Offline kam5512

• Level 1
Trying to get high....
« on: 12/ 6/11 - 09:28PM »
Hello------

I have a 95 wrangler with a 4in lift on it. After going to SMORR this last time with the club I think I need to be higher. I just got new tires put on it (31-12-15) and my wife will not let me put bigger on right now. So I need a way to get some more lift without breaking the bank...lol  I talked to a couple of people in the club and it seems to me that my best option might be to do a Spring-Over-Axle Conversion
on my '95 YJ. If any one has a better idea please let me know. Or if any one knows how to do this or how much it will cost for me to do this please let me know. Thanks Kevin. 8)

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
Re: Trying to get high....
« Reply #1 on: 12/ 6/11 - 09:46PM »
Spring Over isn't a cheap alternative.  Trust me on this, i've done it on over a dozen rigs and it's not a good beginner project either.

I don't recall seeing you have any trouble based on lift height.  Your jeep is plenty tall.  If it were me I'd start by perfecting what you have already.

When $ allows you'll need a Slip Yoke Eliminator and new rear driveshaft.  This will get rid of that drop skid plate you have for your current lift.

Ditch tube steps on the sides as you already have sliders.

When you've got this stuff done and want more capability I'd start looking at lockers, but MY Personal best advice would be wheel what you have for a while making small changes. 
OH AND HAND THROTTLE if you want to make taking off on those hills easier.
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline kam5512

• Level 1
« Reply #2 on: 12/ 7/11 - 12:11AM »
Spring Over isn't a cheap alternative.  Trust me on this, i've done it on over a dozen rigs and it's not a good beginner project either.

I don't recall seeing you have any trouble based on lift height.  Your jeep is plenty tall.  If it were me I'd start by perfecting what you have already.

When $ allows you'll need a Slip Yoke Eliminator and new rear driveshaft.  This will get rid of that drop skid plate you have for your current lift.

Ditch tube steps on the sides as you already have sliders.   (I'm selling my tube steps this Friday for 65. I will look into the slip yoke eliminator and new rear driveshaft <---- do you know what kind I need to be looking for or were I could locate them? And I'm Looking into a Aussie Locker for my front in now. My problem is my wife is letting me spend 500 to 800 on something and I want to use it on my jeep. So I need to get the next thing I will need for my jeep. If I don't spend it she will take it....lol. If I have a clear plan on what I'm going to spend on it I will get the green light.  Any suggestions will help. Thankyou!

When you've got this stuff done and want more capability I'd start looking at lockers, but MY Personal best advice would be wheel what you have for a while making small changes. 
OH AND HAND THROTTLE if you want to make taking off on those hills easier.

Offline kam5512

• Level 1
« Reply #3 on: 12/ 7/11 - 12:22AM »
I'm Selling my tube steps this Friday for 65.00. I am looking into  Aussie Lockers right now. What can you tell me about a slip yoke eliminator? (what kind, how much, were do I get one) and Same with a rear driveshaft..Abby has giving me the green light to spend about 500 to 800. So I have to know what I'm spending it on or she will not just give me the cash until something comes around. (She is funny like that)  :23: So if I have the prices of some things that would really help my jeep out then shes cool with it. Oh and by the way I'm sure this will not happen often so I need to make sure to stretch my cash...

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #4 on: 12/ 7/11 - 07:45AM »
Come out to Steves Saturday and I'll try and walk you through in a tutorial of sorts.  PM MRFAST for directions.

Aaron
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline mrfast

• Director of Photography
  • Level 4
« Reply #5 on: 12/ 7/11 - 09:06PM »
I'm Selling my tube steps this Friday for 65.00. I am looking into  Aussie Lockers right now. What can you tell me about a slip yoke eliminator? (what kind, how much, were do I get one) and Same with a rear driveshaft..Abby has giving me the green light to spend about 500 to 800. So I have to know what I'm spending it on or she will not just give me the cash until something comes around. (She is funny like that)  :23: So if I have the prices of some things that would really help my jeep out then shes cool with it. Oh and by the way I'm sure this will not happen often so I need to make sure to stretch my cash...

Lucky, Lucky you!! If you can come on over Sat. check out Wrench days under the members section, or like Aaron, said send me a PM for directions.

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #6 on: 12/ 7/11 - 10:31PM »
I don't believe he's a member yet to have access. 

Offline kam5512

• Level 1
« Reply #7 on: 12/16/11 - 11:25PM »
So after getting input from several people, I have decided to get a front locker. I am thinking of Powertrax Lockers. What do you guys think?

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #8 on: 12/17/11 - 01:44AM »
I've sold and ran them all. 

Aussie/Lockright/Detroit Gearless/Spartan.

I'd avoid the detroit gearless at all costs.
Lockrights are well proven but generally loud.
Spartans are new and well proven already and quieter.
Aussies have a huge following from being very good product that is well mannered.

For a 30 I'd buy Aussie or Spartan. 

Offline kam5512

• Level 1
« Reply #9 on: 12/19/11 - 07:37PM »
I've sold and ran them all. 

Aussie/Lockright/Detroit Gearless/Spartan.

I'd avoid the detroit gearless at all costs.
Lockrights are well proven but generally loud.
Spartans are new and well proven already and quieter.
Aussies have a huge following from being very good product that is well mannered.

For a 30 I'd buy Aussie or Spartan. 
Thanks I will be reading more on them. I will look into Spartan also. Thanks for your help. Would this be something that I could ask for help from the club putting in(wrench day)?

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #10 on: 12/19/11 - 10:07PM »
Ya but don't order anything until you make it by the house to look the jeep over.  May have some other ideas.

Offline kam5512

• Level 1
« Reply #11 on: 12/20/11 - 01:23AM »
Always a good idea! Lol will do.