Author Topic: Issues Starting  (Read 1403 times)

Offline Martinez

• Club Members
  • Level 4
Issues Starting
« on: 12/19/11 - 11:50AM »
As some of you know we dropped my gas tank last weekend (12/10/2011) and since then my Jeep has had a hard time starting.  The starter cranks the engine over just fine but it doesn?t seem to be getting gas.  :102:

After 2-4 tries it finally starts and then runs fine.   I?ve tried turning the key to ON for several seconds prior to actually trying to start the Jeep just to be sure it builds pressure and that doesn?t seem to help.   What things could cause this? 

While we had the tank down we did replace the Y connector in the fuel line on top of the tank  and that did seem to fix my gas leak and my CEL has since went off so it appears it is staying pressurized while the engine is off.

Any input would be appreciated!!  Thanks!
Take it out and play with it!

Offline Red Oak

• Level 1
Re: Issues Starting
« Reply #1 on: 12/19/11 - 02:04PM »
i helped put that back on, it'll prolly never be right again... .ha
Stupidity got me into this mess, Why can't it get me back out?!?

Offline mrfast

• Director of Photography
  • Level 4
« Reply #2 on: 12/19/11 - 05:45PM »
i helped put that back on, it'll prolly never be right again... .ha

LOL, now that's funny Rick! Chris I guess it started up fine before removal of the tank? Have you had it on the highway at highway speeds to see if fuel pump would pump enough gas?

Offline Martinez

• Club Members
  • Level 4
« Reply #3 on: 12/19/11 - 08:08PM »
Rick, that’s they way I feel every time I work on something!!

Other than letting it build the pressure up before starting (because of the fule leak) it started fine beforehand.

I briefly got it up to 65 MPH or so today and did not have any issues, I am getting ready to make a trip to Fordland tonight so I will have a bit more time on the highway.  When idling it sits right at 750 RPM
« Last Edit: 12/19/11 - 08:10PM by Martinez »

Offline vegrant

• Club Members
  • Level 1
« Reply #4 on: 12/19/11 - 11:05PM »
As some of you know we dropped my gas tank last weekend (12/10/2011) and since then my Jeep has had a hard time starting.  The starter cranks the engine over just fine but it doesn?t seem to be getting gas.  :102:

After 2-4 tries it finally starts and then runs fine.   I?ve tried turning the key to ON for several seconds prior to actually trying to start the Jeep just to be sure it builds pressure and that doesn?t seem to help.   What things could cause this? 

While we had the tank down we did replace the Y connector in the fuel line on top of the tank  and that did seem to fix my gas leak and my CEL has since went off so it appears it is staying pressurized while the engine is off.

Any input would be appreciated!!  Thanks!

You state you leave your key for several seconds, you might try keying on and off a few times prior to trying to start as you will have just a breif burst of fuel pressure each time you key on and leaving the key on for longer doesn't keep adding fuel pressure after the burst that comes on to start.  That is no fix of course, but short of putting a fuel pressure gauge on your jeep that might point you towards a symptom.

Offline Martinez

• Club Members
  • Level 4
« Reply #5 on: 12/20/11 - 11:12PM »
OK, the darn thing has been starting fine today?  The only thing that changed was I filled it with gas for the first time since right after leaving Steve?s house back on the 10th.

Offline vegrant

• Club Members
  • Level 1
« Reply #6 on: 12/20/11 - 11:23PM »
Well you do know gas is required!!!!   Glad it is working!!!!!

Offline Red Oak

• Level 1
« Reply #7 on: 12/21/11 - 12:27AM »
curious as to what has changed. think air in the lines or maybe floaties in the tank?
Stupidity got me into this mess, Why can't it get me back out?!?