Author Topic: New to fourm Need Help im lost  (Read 1543 times)

Offline LT411

New to fourm Need Help im lost
« on: 02/14/12 - 01:52PM »
I just recently bought a 96 Cherokee with a Rough county 4.5 lift and for some reason the previous owner didn't know what he had but anyways on to my problem. The gauges only work work when i put it in reverse but once i put it back into park or drive or even neutral they quit working again. tired all the grounds they look good and clean,i put dielectric grease on the connections on the back of the cluster. I'm now to the very aggravated point in it. Can anyone help I'm open to suggestions. Thanks.

Offline gjgoodale

• Level 3
  • ZMBR8D
Re: New to fourm Need Help im lost
« Reply #1 on: 02/16/12 - 09:15PM »
I'm at a loss on this one...but then again I'm not an expert in the club. 

Anyone else have ideas on this one?
Check the OJT Facebook page<br />http://www.facebook.com/groups/ozarksjeepthing/

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #2 on: 02/16/12 - 09:20PM »
I would say you'll find your culprit in or around the neutral safety switch.  If it were me I'd buy one to swap out since it's like a $12 part if I remember correctly.
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline LT411

« Reply #3 on: 02/16/12 - 09:51PM »
Hey thanks guys I will replace tomorrow. Will post the out come.

Offline OJTV8CJ

• Charter Members
  • Level 4
« Reply #4 on: 03/ 2/12 - 10:39AM »
I wouldn't think that it is te neutral safety switch if it starts and runs.  I would check the reverse light (might be a relay) or for a pinched connector underneath around the shifter or linkage.

My .02
I cut sheetmetal for free.  It's fixing it that get's expensive.

Offline Track3

• Charter Members
  • Level 2
« Reply #5 on: 03/ 5/12 - 02:43PM »
Makes me think that when you select reverse, you are taking pressure off of whatever is being pinched, or crushed. Check the motor mount condition, the engine may be rotating more than it should.
Just my thoughts.

Offline LT411

Re: New to fourm Need Help im lost finally fixed
« Reply #6 on: 03/ 5/12 - 03:01PM »
Thanks guys problem fixed found a broken wire and when the motor would rock from being put in revese it would make contact. Thanks for your help.