Author Topic: Jk suspension help  (Read 1312 times)

Offline Rmiller31

• Level 1
Jk suspension help
« on: 06/ 7/12 - 01:28AM »
This is my first jeep with a suspension lift. Its got a 4" lift using a dropped pitman arm.  Ive read that this can cause problems in jk's.

What would I need to do to get rid of it? New track bars?

The jeep also wanders a little on the highway around 65-70mph. Ts not terrible but it's there.
« Last Edit: 06/ 7/12 - 01:37AM by Rmiller31 »

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
Re: Jk suspension help
« Reply #1 on: 06/ 7/12 - 08:33AM »
If it's already on there and you aren't experiencing bump steer then I wouldn't bother with it.  You can replace track bars but they just need to stay in phase with the steering they aren't interchangeable.

As far as the "wander" check your front end for loose or worn components (tie rod ends, track bar bushings, or even u joints) and make sure that everything is tight.

What brand lift do you have on it?  Did you install it?
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline Rmiller31

• Level 1
« Reply #2 on: 06/ 7/12 - 11:05AM »
Its a rough country lift looks pretty basic (new coils sway bar links and shocks)  This was on the jeep when I purchased it but I do know it was done by Johns 4x4.  I'm a little weary of the shocks because they are suppose to have built in bump stops.  I already had to replace one of them but luckily I got the dealership to do that.

I was advised to use a high steer kit and ditch the pitman arm due to the stress it would cause on the steering box.  I'm still learning all this suspension stuff but as this is my DD I'd rather do it right I just wasn't sure what right was lol.  The jeep drives smooth and I dont notice any bump steer.  I only notice the wandering at higher speeds.  This is also my first time with 35" tires so it's possible I'm just not use to how they feel at that speed.

The jeep is pretty squeaky as well when the suspension has to do any work.  I'm not sure how much is normal for a suspension lift tho so I could just be over thinking.

Thanks a lot for the help!

Ryan

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #3 on: 06/ 7/12 - 11:12AM »
Sounds like you are over thinking it.  Jeeps have been getting drop pitman arms for decades.  A high steer kit is a major cost and 99% of the lifted JK's out there do not have it. 

The built in bumpstop shocks are kinda new and I have very limited experience with those.  The squeeks you generally hear are the poly bushings instead of the factory style clevite.

As far as the wander it's probably just you noticing the foot print drag of a 12.5" wide tire instead of 9" wide tire.
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline iJeep

• Level 4
« Reply #4 on: 06/18/12 - 11:39AM »
On the JK, if you have a drop pitman arm, you should also have a bracket that either drops the frame mount for the track bar or raises the axle mount of the track bar.  If your kit doesn't have one of those brackets, then the wondering you are experience could be bump steer (i.e. if you kit train tracks or a big bump and the jeep tries to steer itself a little, that is bump steer).

Drop pitman arms are pretty rare on JKs because it is cheaper and less stressful on the components to flip the drag link to the top of the steering knuckle, which is probably what you meant by a high steer kit.

Overall, Aaron is right, if there's not a problem, don't fix it.  The wider tires will wonder a little and if you don't have adjustable front control arms, there is a good chance the caster is off a little causing the tires to wonder a little more than they would otherwise.