Author Topic: How can I slow down my Lange electrical hardtop hoist?  (Read 1486 times)

Offline Ultramag

• Level 2
I have a Lange electric hoist for my '07 JK (2 Door) hardtop and the speed seems to be way to fast!!!  It is nice when pulling the top off but I am concerned about the speed when lowering it back on.  I read on the Lange site that I can cut the speed in half by adding another eye-bolt in the ceiling with an additional pulley block to give it another connection point but I'm still not sure that slowing it by half will be enough.  Again, my concern is when I am lowering the top back down onto the Jeep and I would like to sit it down gently, not hard.  My neighbor thinks we can wire a heavy-duty fan switch into the Lange motor and then dial down the speed when needed, which he is a sharp guy so I am sure this will work, but I am wondering if anyone has done this?  If yes, how well did it work, what did you buy to make it work and how did you do it?  I also seen a Speed Controller on Amazon that looks like it would work but I am just not sure.  Here is the one on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/SE-Electronic-Stepless-Speed-Controller/dp/B000HQAVNI/ref=pd_cp_hi_3

Thoughts, ideas, etc?

Much appreciated!

Offline Rayster

• Level 1
Re: How can I slow down my Lange electrical hardtop hoist?
« Reply #1 on: 07/27/12 - 02:54AM »
Do you know what RPM the main wound wheel is turning?  It would help to determine the speed you would like.

Offline Ultramag

• Level 2
« Reply #2 on: 07/30/12 - 06:04PM »
I don't know the RPM but I have added an extra pulley and it reduced the speed quite a bit.  I received alot of info on the JK forum site and I might make this a winter project to figure out how to slow it down with a speed control switch or I might just replace the single pulleys with double pulleys and reduce the speed by 1/2 again which would be plenty slow at that point.

Offline CRAZY LARRY

• Charter Members
  • Level 3
« Reply #3 on: 07/30/12 - 06:26PM »
I would use the pully. the speed control could hurt your motor.as most just cut the volts down to slow down the motor. just my 2cents
Zombie brains; smells like fish taste like chicken.

Offline Rayster

• Level 1
« Reply #4 on: 08/ 3/12 - 07:03PM »
I agree on the pulley solution.  If you need some help let me know.  I can (at times) do some home projects where I work.