Author Topic: YJ Speaker box  (Read 3369 times)

Offline why jay

• Level 2
YJ Speaker box
« on: 06/23/08 - 03:36AM »
I wanted a way to raise the rear seat of my YJ so that my 4 year old could see better on the trails (makes it more enjoyable for her, which makes it more enjoyable for everyone.)  Anyway, I decided to build a speaker box and put the seat on top of it.  My initial concern was safety, I wanted to be able to secure the rear seat as close to factory as possible.  The seat ended up being about 2 inches taller that I would have likes, but I decided on putting a 10 sub in the box so I needed the air space.  Here is what it ended up looking like.  I am having it rhino-lined.

The box will hold a 10" subwoofer in a sealed box (abou .70 cu. ft.) and also hold 2 6 1/2's and an amp.

I made some spaces and all thread to secure the seat to the original mounting holes. 

My head unit is in the center console and this is how I ran the wires to the box.

I ran 3/4 conduit under the tub of the jeep.

I will post more pics when I actually get it installed.  I know a lot of people wont be interested in this "mod" but I searched the net before I did it and found no useful write ups.  Just thought I would share for those of you that are interested.

I am Joe the plumber.

Offline derf1184

• Level 1
Re: YJ Speaker box
« Reply #1 on: 06/27/08 - 01:16PM »
That looks really good.

Can't wait to see the finished pics.

Offline why jay

• Level 2
« Reply #2 on: 06/28/08 - 03:27AM »
Thanks, its done and installed.  It sounds really good. I will get some pictures posted tomorrow.
I am Joe the plumber.

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #3 on: 06/28/08 - 09:52AM »
My cd player is full of water so no tunes until I get it replaced.  I maybe riding close to you at Disney so I can listen to yours lol.

Good work on the box man... nothing like creative installs.
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline OldYJ

• Charter Members
  • Level 5
« Reply #4 on: 06/29/08 - 10:32PM »
turned out nice Jay. I like the wire routing
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from
those who are willing to work and give to those who would not"
Thomas Jefferson

Offline why jay

• Level 2
« Reply #5 on: 06/30/08 - 12:13AM »
Okay, here it is finished. 

The seat sits quite a bit higher, but works for a 4 year old. 

The grill I bought ended up not fitting the speaker so I got some stainless rod and bent it.  I thing the orange flake looks better in person

You wouldnt believe how much more room there is behind the seat.  All I did was raise it, but it seems so much biggger back there.

I had to fab some new latches for the rear.  I was going to just raise the factory ones up, but with these I can raise the rear seat without folding it first.  This is important with a car seat in it.

I am Joe the plumber.

Offline Jeeper guy

• Level 3
  • OINK
« Reply #6 on: 06/30/08 - 12:33AM »
That is awesome and very creative, i think your passengers will have a better. Nice work !! :)
First you crawl, then you walk, then you drive, then you crawl again....

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #7 on: 06/30/08 - 01:37AM »
Looks good man.
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline xj42

• Level 3
« Reply #8 on: 06/30/08 - 02:44PM »
Cool project, looks like it turned out well.

Offline derf1184

• Level 1
« Reply #9 on: 06/30/08 - 03:45PM »
Looks good, I like it.