Author Topic: Repair estimate  (Read 1962 times)

Offline v2thjeep

• Level 2
Repair estimate
« on: 11/ 3/10 - 08:37PM »
I took the old Jeep out to break in a new lift. TJ-2Thousand tricked( I mean asked) if I wanted to try to get through a huge water/mud hole. Me being the new said why not. I've heard some gear whining when accelerating and took her into the shop to get checked out.

I'm told there is water in the rear differential and the bearings and fluid need to be replaced.

He also suggested new fluid in tranny, t-case. Which sucks cause I just had it done.

Any thoughts on cost for this? I think it was $450 for labor/parts for the replacing bearings and fluid on rear differential.

Also, CEL is throwing 02 sensor code. Is that easy to change? How about a serpentine belt?

thanks fellas.
WTF is a Palm Beach Edition?

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
Re: Repair estimate
« Reply #1 on: 11/ 3/10 - 08:49PM »
That's really not a bad estimate.  Assuming you have a 35 in the back.  Because to change both pinion bearings you are going to have to reset bearing preload with a new crush sleeve (PIA).

Serpentine is pretty easy, 02 sensor is very easy with the correct wrench.  Changing fluids in everything would be a good idea if you got deep in it.  $100 worth of fluids may save you thousands in new trans, xcase, etc.

Just an overhaul kit for your 35 is $130 (includes bearings and crush sleeves).

Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline v2thjeep

• Level 2
« Reply #2 on: 11/ 3/10 - 08:52PM »
Cool. Thanks for the quick reply. I was just reading up on o2 sensor and belt replacement. So I think I'll do those myself, but go ahead and have them do the pinion bearings.

Guess I learned my lesson about big water/mud holes!

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #3 on: 11/ 3/10 - 08:56PM »
The rear end is a project assuming you have a bad bearing.  Changing fluid is simple for future reference you can do it yourself.

I'd go ahead and swap trans and xcase fluid if they got under as well.

I've played in lots of deep muddy water and, the maintenance that follows is why I don't anymore.  There are a lot of things you can't service that it shortens the life span on, unit bearings especially. 
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline TJ-2thousand

• Level 4
  • When in doubt, throttle out!!!
« Reply #4 on: 11/ 4/10 - 06:59AM »
dang man. didnt realize you were having problems since then. if you need a hand with the belt and 02  sensor, bring it over and we will get it knocked out quick.

and if you would have made it across the hole, i would have followed you. so no trickery... :)
CAMPING WITHOUT BEER IS JUST SLEEPING OUTSIDE!

Offline v2thjeep

• Level 2
« Reply #5 on: 11/ 4/10 - 09:27AM »
dang man. didnt realize you were having problems since then. if you need a hand with the belt and 02  sensor, bring it over and we will get it knocked out quick.

and if you would have made it across the hole, i would have followed you. so no trickery... :)

Glad you didn't attempt it either. I was jokin' about the Trickery!! I might take you up on the o2 sensor and belt. Gotta do it before it starts gettin' cold!

Offline v2thjeep

• Level 2
« Reply #6 on: 11/13/10 - 11:48AM »
What brand of O2 (oxygen) sensor have you guys used? I usually get stuff from O'reilly. They have bosch. Any reason not to use them and use Mopar or something else?

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #7 on: 11/13/10 - 01:42PM »
Bosch is fine. 

Offline v2thjeep

• Level 2
« Reply #8 on: 11/14/10 - 09:15AM »
OK. Hopefully last question on this. While the Jeep was in the shop. There was also a couple other things they mentioned.

Exhaust Manifold and gasket - I've been told before that I had an exhaust leak. Their estimate on that was about $420 to do the manifold and the 02 sensor. I'll probably do the 02 sensor myself and if this (http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?partID=51122#) is $200, i'm guessing there's not too much labor to do the manifold replacement. Not sure if I could do that myself or not.

O2 Sensor - Bank 1 Sensor 2. How do I know which sensor to replace? Upstream or downstream?

Offline v2thjeep

• Level 2
« Reply #9 on: 11/14/10 - 03:57PM »
I did some more digging and looked under the hood. I guess the upstream 02 sensor is right below the exhaust manifold? I also found a much less expensive exhaust manifold. (http://www.1aauto.com/1A/ExhaustManifolds/Jeep/Wrangler/1AEEM00026/260661/1988?utm_source=jeepforum&utm_medium=forum&utm_campaign=1ATony)

Suggestions on replacement parts. I don't think I want to pay double or triple for Banks power in my 4 baner.

Offline TJ-2thousand

• Level 4
  • When in doubt, throttle out!!!
« Reply #10 on: 11/16/10 - 05:39PM »
the exhaust manifold is a huge pain in the ass! i would definitely get a good quality replacement! you do not want to have to do it again! we put a banks on DKRs wrangler a few years back. well worth the money. i plan on using banks when mine is ready to be replaced.

CAMPING WITHOUT BEER IS JUST SLEEPING OUTSIDE!