Author Topic: Professional Opinions  (Read 794 times)

Offline gdowling

• Level 2
Professional Opinions
« on: 03/26/10 - 11:51AM »
So I finally got the jeep traded for an 88 Burb, with that said I now am jeepless. So since this is a jeep club site if I am out of line directing my questions here then just say so and I will take them to pirate - but your help with my jeep was great so thought I would ask first!

Now for the question - on the Burb - got a weird noise that I am not sure of, The faster I go the louder it gets(to a certain extent). From about 0-30 you cant really hear it but from 30-70 it gradually gets louder. It is a humming noise located under the back half of the burb that is directly related to the mph somehow. I dont think it is the tires as they arent real aggressive meats. I am thinking unbalanced driveshaft(vibration), or something in the rear differential(have not checked the fluid)? Your Thoughts?

Thanks
EMAW

Offline TJ-2thousand

• Level 4
  • When in doubt, throttle out!!!
Re: Professional Opinions
« Reply #1 on: 03/26/10 - 11:57AM »
try removing the rear drive shaft and driving it in front wheel drive and see if the noise goes away. maybe something as easy as a u-joint on the rear shaft. but maybe a bearing in the rear end too.
CAMPING WITHOUT BEER IS JUST SLEEPING OUTSIDE!

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
Re: Professional Opinions
« Reply #2 on: 03/26/10 - 12:12PM »
Or just check the ujoints as they usually make noise when failing.
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato