Author Topic: Mounting External GPS antenna  (Read 997 times)

Offline GA

Mounting External GPS antenna
« on: 04/15/07 - 05:06AM »
Wanting to  mount an amplified external GPS antenna in front of the windshield.  Would like to know if there is  a clean way to run the cable down through the air intake vent and  rout it into the  cab (under dash).  Didn't want to run cable through edge of door and have door open/close on it all the time.  Also routing under hood in my mind would be inviting wear on the  cable from road vibration.

I have not tried to open the cowl that covers the  vent area.  Hoping a comment from someone who has been into that area before.

Regards, GA (1999 Jeep Wrangler Sahara)

Offline OJTV8CJ

• Charter Members
  • Level 4
Re: Mounting External GPS antenna
« Reply #1 on: 04/16/07 - 01:03AM »
There is actually plastic duct work under there for the heater box.  You should be able to drill thru the top corner and then grommet the hole.  If you really wanted to silicone the whole thing to make it water tight.  The cable will run under the dash above the gas pedal if you do it in that corner.  Good luck.  If you need to see what I am talking about you can come by and look at mine.  I have both ducts around here.
I cut sheetmetal for free.  It's fixing it that get's expensive.

Offline GA

Re: Mounting External GPS antenna
« Reply #2 on: 04/16/07 - 01:48AM »
Thanks for the idea ... I will look at my duct work this weekend.  I have temp. hooked up my antenna and wow, how much more quickly my GPS V locks onto the satalites.  My first time with external antenna of any kind.

Quote from: "OJTV8XJ"
There is actually plastic duct work under there for the heater box.  You should be able to drill thru the top corner and then grommet the hole.  If you really wanted to silicone the whole thing to make it water tight.  The cable will run under the dash above the gas pedal if you do it in that corner.  Good luck.  If you need to see what I am talking about you can come by and look at mine.  I have both ducts around here.