Author Topic: Building from a 2.5 Suspension lift  (Read 8348 times)

Offline YellowTJ

• Level 2
Building from a 2.5 Suspension lift
« on: 09/18/06 - 12:22PM »
I have on the jeep right now a 2.5 adjustable Fabtech Lift found here http://www.quadratec.com/products/16119_006.htm

I like all good Jeepers want to go bigger.  While this lift is great for my 31"s I want to get 33"s and this isn't going to work as I have loved my great flex and don't want tire rub.

So what can I do?  Of course less $$ is good but I don't want some waggly humpy bumpy ride either as this is my DD too.

Can this be done as easy as doing a small 1-2" body lift and keeping everything else as it?  Or would that put me into new springs, shocks, and other things too?

With this in mind would it be better to buy a 4" Suspension lift and can anything be sold off the lift I currently have?

Give me some thoughts.
color=yellow]
_l----l_
OlllllllO
[]--o-[]      "YellowTJ"

Offline HVACMASTER

• Level 3
Re: Building from a 2.5 Suspension lift
« Reply #1 on: 09/18/06 - 12:41PM »
that's an expensive spring spacer.  if you like the ride you could easily put a 2" body lift, and while your at it belly up, motor lift and than you don't drag skid all the time.  new lift would give you stronger control arms and such.  all about dollars and cent and things will change forever and ever anyway.

Offline Bradman

• Level 4
  • II've got a buzz and a woody, and I'm ready to go!
« Reply #2 on: 09/18/06 - 02:08PM »
My $.02

2.5 inches of lift can be pretty good.  I'm running a Rancho 2.5 lift, and I ran the non-stocker run with out ever dragging my belly or anything else.

Spend your money on a set of ARB lockers and some skid plates.  You will be money ahead.

Also, 33's won't fit under your lift?  I'm running 33's and they will rub @ max flex, but has not been a problem.
1999 TJ  2.5 inch Rancho Rockrawler lift  33inch BFG's  Loc-Rites front and rear!<br /><br />Ranch Rocker!<br />http://smorr.net/images/ranch_rockers_avatar50.png

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #3 on: 09/18/06 - 02:22PM »
I'd install a 2" body lift.  If you order the cover kit that hides it they aren't that bad.  Not to mention the $ you'll be saving.  No point in buying a bigger suspension kit now unless you spend a lot of $$ and get a long arm that you can add to later when you want 35's.  

You can look at ISO's and see how well his body lift is  hidden.

She doesn't need ARB's as her jeep is already a rubicon.
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #4 on: 09/18/06 - 03:00PM »
In my opinion a body lift and a coil spacer lift together would not be wise.

To successfully clear 33's you need 4 inches of lift. From what I understand, with the coil spring spacers you won't be able to do a belly up kit. Which will get  your transmission up flat with the frame .. about $150, giving you mondo clearance.. belly wise. That is why I went with a body lift vs. coil spacers.

In my opinion... and I'm sure this is  my opinion... haha. I would lose the spacer kit, sell it actually, and add that money towards a 4 inch suspension lift which will easily clear 33's and you'll have great flex.
By adding the 2 inch wheel spacers on my rig, it helped to make it more stable and my Ruby rims don't cause my tires to rub anymore... coarse the extra 2 inches of lift help too.( I have 6 total now) When you lift a Jeep 4 inches or more it will cause the axles to become off center so you will need to buy adjustable front and rear trackbars (which I do not have, but am getting soon) this is where the squirrlyness comes in. The adjustable trackbars will fix that, and the front one will fix any bumpsteer. They usually don't come with the cheaper (money wise, not quality) kits.

I don't think coil spacers and a body lift would be wise together.  Either one in addition to a suspension lift is okay, depending if you want to go with a bellup kit or get rid of your transfer case drop kit, but I would never go more than 2 inches on a body lift.

If I had to do it over again, this is what I would do something like this or similiar...

3.5 inch RE SuperFlex. (actually I would want the 4.5 as I want to go up to  35's someday) http://www.quadratec.com/products/16300_404.htm#details. $879 on Quadratec. I bet 4wheerssupply would give you a great deal. Never buy anything from Quadratec, they are pricey and add rediculous amounts on for shipping and surcharges.... unless you like throwing your money away.
1 or 2 inch body lift (performance accessories) ( I would say 1inch, but with 2 you'll get more flex) $156.99 including shipping. 4wd.com
1.5 to 2 inch wheelspacers @$150 my 2 in spacers where $164.51 including shipping EBAY (no need to buy the poison spiders)  you'll pay an extra $100 just for the name. Will give you stablity and allow you to keep those pretty Ruby wheels.

Front and Rear adjustable trackbars. $$$ depends on brand you buy. upwards of $250 for both.

I would do the work yourself, or at least get some club members to help. We'll do a much better job than a shop, plus you'd be there to supervise. Shops just want you in and out, then your money... doesn't matter who they are or what club members recommend them, they just want to get you in and out, and your jeep will just be a number.. Unless the guy who owns the shop is one of your best buds, then you might get some special treatment. Jeepdog (he will like me nominating him ) has an awesome shadetree shop, I am sure he would be glad to help you, us, or anybody you wanted to ask come out there and get your rig fixed up, plus a hamburger and soda is alot cheaper than $50++/hour for labor.

Here are some 4 inch kits from a store on Ebay I have bought from before:

I'm not a Rough Country salesman.. but these are priced great and after a quick scan through various kits don't see a better bang for your buck than these.

Lift 1

This is is pretty sweet, you get front and rear upper and lower ADJUSTABLE control arms... lot of bang for your buck there ...

Lift 2
EVERY NORMAL MAN MUST BE TEMPTED AT TIMES TO SPIT ON HIS HANDS, HOIST THE BLACK FLAG, AND BEGIN SLITTING THROATS.

Offline HVACMASTER

• Level 3
« Reply #5 on: 09/18/06 - 03:22PM »
BY NOW MOST PEOPLE HAVE SEEN MY STOCKER FLEX AND IS A ROUGH COUNTRY LIFT, THE ONLY THING I HAVE ADDED TO LIFT IS ADJUSTABLE UPPER CONTROL ARMS.  1 1/4" BODY WAS ADDED WHEN BELLY UP WAS DONE, ALLEN IS A WITNESS IT DIDN'T TAKE ANYTHING TO PUT IT ON, EVEN THE SECOND TIME BY MYSELF AFTER DISCOVERED LEFT OUT ORIGINAL SPACERS.

Offline YellowTJ

• Level 2
« Reply #6 on: 09/18/06 - 03:31PM »
Sounds like the second one has everything included.  Anything else you think I'd need?  I want to do it right.  I find that sometimes doing it right and half assed are about the same cost a few months down the road.  Is the only difference between the two the control arms... what do they do for me?

And your right hamburger, sodas, and beer is way cheaper and a better experience than a shop.

So now it becomes a question of finding the money.  What do you think is really sale worthy comming off the Jeep?  I feel like a psycho for spending nearly $1000 on this lift in Febuary and now thinking of doing it again.  Almost 1/2 the cost was shop fees.  Call it a big time newbie mistake.  

**and to anwser if 33s will fit... yeah they'll fit but rub.  I really learned by watching ISOs problem.  Plus I like the look of some air between the body and the tire.
color=yellow]
_l----l_
OlllllllO
[]--o-[]      "YellowTJ"

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #7 on: 09/18/06 - 05:08PM »
I still have all my parts that have come off of mine. Not sure what everything is worth.. If you're going to get rid of the coil spacers... you should be able to get back 70%, I would hope. You can also sell your 31's.

Oh yeah, you don't want people drinking beer while they are working on your Jeep. Send em home with money for a 12pack or something, then they can work on their own rig while throwing back cold ones. :agree:

In addition to that X-Series lift from Rough Country... to do it completely right... You will need:
Front and Rear Adjustable Track Bars.
These are JKS, you can find cheaper, and are the ones I will get ... just makes sure you get adjustable ones, and for the amount of lift you will have:
Rear
Front

and... if you wanted to lose the Transfer Case Drop kit, and do a belly up.. .you will need an extended drive shaft, but that can always come later... they are kind pricey.. the drive shafts that is.
EVERY NORMAL MAN MUST BE TEMPTED AT TIMES TO SPIT ON HIS HANDS, HOIST THE BLACK FLAG, AND BEGIN SLITTING THROATS.

Offline YellowTJ

• Level 2
« Reply #8 on: 09/18/06 - 05:20PM »
Is the only difference between the two the control arms... what do they do for me?
color=yellow]
_l----l_
OlllllllO
[]--o-[]      "YellowTJ"

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #9 on: 09/18/06 - 05:25PM »
they allow for more flex, better alignment, and less stress on everything else.

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #10 on: 09/18/06 - 05:29PM »
Steph,

Here is a review of the 4" X-Series ...

http://endlessadventureoffroad.com/roughcountry.html

Offline YellowTJ

• Level 2
« Reply #11 on: 09/18/06 - 05:31PM »
So they're a really good thing.  Darn it, however I didn't think you'd say skip them.  

So is there anything else in the second kit that I'd need, besides some good friends?  And the tire gods to rain tires down on me when this gets done?  

I must now go have a talk with my credit card.  I just paid that darn thing off!
color=yellow]
_l----l_
OlllllllO
[]--o-[]      "YellowTJ"

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #12 on: 09/18/06 - 06:00PM »
No, not unless you want to get the driveshaft so you can get by without installing the TC Drop kit. I'm pretty positive with this kit... you'll even out flex SHAMOO!  :bigeyes:

If anyone else, knows of a better bang for your buck than what we have been talking about... please speak up. A Jeep depends on it.

You looking at about $1200 for all this. Could probably even look around some more and save another $100, or at least find somewhere with Free Shipping. I know I have heard people brag that they only paid $400 or so for their lifts, but they don't have near the stuff included in this. and the more I look at it, the more I want it for myself.

I wouldn't do it on credit, I'd just save the money. Credit is evil. You'll end up paying twice as much for it. I know you want it NOW, but listen  :bangtard: If you gotta have it now... sell stuff to get the money. That's what I did. I sold a couple guns to get the stuff, now I have it, no payment, and still have enough guns to wage a small war. Okay, I am off my Credit is Evil soap box.

A creative idea to get some much need/wanted Jeep dough... I had 100+ DVD movies that were cluttering up my living room all of which I had seen multiple times, I sold everyone of them for $5/peice... brought in over $500, which I haven't spent yet.  :brows:   just a thought.

Offline Big Pimpin

• Charter Members
  • Level 4
« Reply #13 on: 09/19/06 - 08:54AM »
I would price these kits at Johns 4x4, that is were HVACMASTER got his.  They have great pricing on the rough country kits.

With that being said, you could add a 2" body lift and clear bigger tires, but you really wouldnt have that great of flex.  How does it do now?
The phrase "You almost made it" breaks a lot of things.

Offline YellowTJ

• Level 2
« Reply #14 on: 09/19/06 - 01:27PM »
I have great flex now.  On the RTI ramp it was just about an inch short of 5ft.  Truth is if I wasn't worried about the flex so much I could stuff 33's under there now.  But I'd like at least another inch of clearence to do it.

I'd like to hear more about the adding a body lift option.  Its attractive in that its cheap, however I don't want a rough ride to work and one thats squirly on the trail.
color=yellow]
_l----l_
OlllllllO
[]--o-[]      "YellowTJ"