Author Topic: Building from a 2.5 Suspension lift  (Read 8352 times)

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
Re: Building from a 2.5 Suspension lift
« Reply #15 on: 09/19/06 - 02:19PM »
Adding a body lift on top of coil spacers just seem like it would be dangerous to me, making your rig incredibly top heavy...and it would lean real bad when taking corners during daily driving. Your stock spring is not set up for that. Your pushing it now with the coil spacers you have. Maybe not.. perhaps people do it all the time, but seems to me that if that was the case, then everyone we know and wheel with would have 3" coil spacers and 3" body lifts.  right?

Is there anyone who has these two mods together with a stock spring setup? I'm thinking no.
EVERY NORMAL MAN MUST BE TEMPTED AT TIMES TO SPIT ON HIS HANDS, HOIST THE BLACK FLAG, AND BEGIN SLITTING THROATS.

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #16 on: 09/19/06 - 02:37PM »
I've owned jeeps with 3" body and 2" budget boost lifts before.  I didn't like it and put on a 4" suspension and took the rest off.  

As far as making it top heavy using body lift doesn't raise your center of mass as much as suspension since your not raising the drivetrain and frame.

If you can afford it then get a good suspension kit preferably a long arm kit.
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #17 on: 09/19/06 - 02:39PM »
:bowdown:  I stand corrected. I set myself up for that.
EVERY NORMAL MAN MUST BE TEMPTED AT TIMES TO SPIT ON HIS HANDS, HOIST THE BLACK FLAG, AND BEGIN SLITTING THROATS.

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #18 on: 09/19/06 - 02:42PM »
I didn't mean it at you just saying some do.  People who want a lifted jeep with no $$ do it.  I bought it used that way and redid it like I do everything.
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #19 on: 09/19/06 - 02:44PM »
I know Aaron, but I didn't think anyone was actually cheap enough to diminish their ride like that. But hey, having a jeep is a sickness, and when you want lift... you do what you can.

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #20 on: 09/19/06 - 02:50PM »
You should have been around when I used to run with a mud crowd in high school... I've seen things that make you cringe,
4" WOOD body lifts
6" Lift blocks at all 4 corners
Frame stacking also is an old redneck lift.

I've never done any of those but have seen them on multiple rigs.

Offline LibertyPatriot

• I vote for BACON!
  • Charter Members
  • Level 5
  • Web Wheeler!
« Reply #21 on: 09/19/06 - 03:54PM »
Frame stacking... hmmm
Interesting, very interesting...  :thk:
I'd put something funny here, but you probably wouldn't get it anyway...

Offline YellowTJ

• Level 2
« Reply #22 on: 09/19/06 - 04:02PM »
Tell me more about this long arm kit... I was talking with Jimmy about a Rough country lift.
color=yellow]
_l----l_
OlllllllO
[]--o-[]      "YellowTJ"

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #23 on: 09/19/06 - 04:16PM »
Yeah I had a buddy in high school. He used wood blocks soaked in epoxy resin... one gave out on him while going around a curve, he wiped out... broke his back... and then put a new wood block back on.  :bangtard:

Long Arm kit... veddy expincesives.  .. and will void your factory warranty... though I want one. I still got 5 years and/or about 40k miles on my warranty though, so not this week.

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #24 on: 09/19/06 - 04:21PM »
The problem with short arm kits is the angle your lower arms are at with more than a 4" lift.  

Long arms allow for more lift (when you want 35-37's).  
  http://www.rubiconexpress.com/dynamic/mainpage.asp?folderid=184

That site shows you a lot of differences.  I've had 2 TJ's with short arms and 2 TJ's with long arms personally.  If you can afford the price tag long arms are better for a person who knows they will do this for along time and will keep going bigger.  If 35's are your max you can acheive that with a short arm kit.

For short arms ISO has linked some good kits I've put the Rough Country elcheapo from John's 4x4 on my black TJ and it was very easy install and very good kit for the $.

Offline YellowTJ

• Level 2
« Reply #25 on: 09/19/06 - 04:27PM »
Ok so I'm not doing that.  Jeep's only 7 months old.  Darn I just thought of something I could sell.... my Jon Boat.  I have an old Richline and two motors, sell that and I should have my lift.  Then I'll just have to figure out the tires on my own.  Ok off to go see about prices for that boat.

Jimmy - So on that Rough country do you think you have the knowledge to put that on my Jeep?  I don't but I figure you do, and would you be willing to help me out.  I don't have the set up to do it either.  Of couse I'm willing to drag anyone else into helping out who's nutty enough to spend several hours assisting for as much as they can eat in BBQ food.
color=yellow]
_l----l_
OlllllllO
[]--o-[]      "YellowTJ"

Offline LibertyPatriot

• I vote for BACON!
  • Charter Members
  • Level 5
  • Web Wheeler!
« Reply #26 on: 09/19/06 - 04:34PM »
Quote from: "YellowTJ"
nutty enough to spend several hours assisting for as much as they can eat in BBQ food.

When and where????  :eatem:
I'd put something funny here, but you probably wouldn't get it anyway...

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #27 on: 09/19/06 - 04:38PM »
Yes, but with people like Aaron and Keith helping, we could gitterdone alot faster.  mmm BBQ.

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #28 on: 09/19/06 - 04:39PM »
I've put on a lot of lifts and will be more than happy to come help you put yours on.  I don't have all my tools down here since they are all back home in my shop.  Do you have any to do this with?

You should call John's and get a price on the kit.  I would NOT recommend you buy his Quick Disco's they are junk and there are much better out there.  

Aaron

Johns 4x4    417-744-2721

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #29 on: 09/19/06 - 04:49PM »
I called out at Johns... getting a quote, they said they'd call me back.
Bad thing is you'll have to pay tax. Ordering online.. no tax if you buy it out of state. Cheapest one I found so far is... $899 and $39 for shipping. I'll let you know what Johns tells me.