Author Topic: Building from a 2.5 Suspension lift  (Read 8350 times)

Offline YellowTJ

• Level 2
Re: Building from a 2.5 Suspension lift
« Reply #45 on: 09/19/06 - 11:46PM »
I talked to Jon and he's agreeded to help.  I sent me to look at a Superlift Kit, that's what he has.  I'm going to get the control arms for sure.  He suggested getting an adjustable front tack bar rather than one you have to drill in for.  After his explaination I think it could save some time and effort.  He still talked on a slip yoke elimintor too.  Is this something that I can add later?  I'm going to talk to Kevin at 4ws tommrow.

So Jimmy do you think you can host this event if you have the jacks and tools that might be easiest.  If no one minds the travel to Republic I have space but not the equipment.
color=yellow]
_l----l_
OlllllllO
[]--o-[]      "YellowTJ"

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #46 on: 09/19/06 - 11:53PM »
its the bracket that the track bar connects to that has to be drilled. Aaron could explain it better. I'll get back with you on the place to do it, but if nothing else we could do it here at my house. I have a nice size 2 car garage. So you are going with the Superlift kit?? If so which one? I'd like to know so I can see what all your getting and if it is a better deal.
EVERY NORMAL MAN MUST BE TEMPTED AT TIMES TO SPIT ON HIS HANDS, HOIST THE BLACK FLAG, AND BEGIN SLITTING THROATS.

Offline YellowTJ

• Level 2
« Reply #47 on: 09/19/06 - 11:55PM »
Moo said somthing about a superlift called a rock runner, I'm just now sitting down to look into it.  I'm not careing what the name is the most bang for my buck and a good ride around town is that I want.
color=yellow]
_l----l_
OlllllllO
[]--o-[]      "YellowTJ"

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #48 on: 09/19/06 - 11:57PM »
You must not have told John you had a Rubicon.  With a Rubicon you can't do a slip yoke eliminator becasue you jeep left the factory with a fixed yoke not a slip yoke, therefore you can't eliminate it.

The adjustable trac bar means you can twist the trac bar to adjust your axle side to side under the jeep.  That way the tires stick out equally on both sides as opposed to being wider on one side.  

The bracket on the front isn't bad just not very stout the one on the rear is stout enough just a Major Pain in the A$$.

I'd also like a link to the kit he recommended just so we can make sure it's complete enough to do what you want.

Aaron
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline YellowTJ

• Level 2
« Reply #49 on: 09/20/06 - 12:02AM »
http://http://www.4wheelerssupply.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/70708

I think this is what he's talking about but its way more.  He also liked the rubiacon express 3.5

http://www.4wheelerssupply.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/1632[/url]
color=yellow]
_l----l_
OlllllllO
[]--o-[]      "YellowTJ"

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #50 on: 09/20/06 - 12:04AM »
I think she is talking about SHamoo... Jon

Not John from Johns, she would have talked to Brandon at Johns anyway.

That's alot of jons in one sentences... I gotta go to the john. :brows:

I looked at every lift from Rubicon Express to homemade wooden lift kits from the redneck barnyard... and not one gave you all the stuff that the X-Series does. With that being said I would buy the Rough Country X-Series. THis is your baby though, you do some homework and buy what you feel is the best for you. I'll help you put it on no matter and I sure the other guys will too.

Jimmy out.
EVERY NORMAL MAN MUST BE TEMPTED AT TIMES TO SPIT ON HIS HANDS, HOIST THE BLACK FLAG, AND BEGIN SLITTING THROATS.

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #51 on: 09/20/06 - 12:05AM »
The R.E. kit is about $50 bucks cheaper if you buy direct from R.E.

I like the Rough Country kit over Superlift since it has adjustable arms instead of fixed.
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #52 on: 09/20/06 - 12:10AM »
You don't get the front and rear uppers with the RE kit either.

Offline YellowTJ

• Level 2
« Reply #53 on: 09/20/06 - 12:12AM »
Ok good enough for me.  So why do you think the rough country is so much less?  It sounds like the price may be too good to be true.
color=yellow]
_l----l_
OlllllllO
[]--o-[]      "YellowTJ"

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #54 on: 09/20/06 - 12:16AM »
Rough Country has always made their kits cheaper.  They got a bad rep. back in the day because their leaf spring kits rode like crap.  

I don't know why they are so much cheaper other than they are well established spend 0 on advertising for the most part.

Aaron

Offline YellowTJ

• Level 2
« Reply #55 on: 09/20/06 - 12:18AM »
Any thoughts on the ride now?  Its a big concern that I don't end up with some stiff jar your teeth out ride.
color=yellow]
_l----l_
OlllllllO
[]--o-[]      "YellowTJ"

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #56 on: 09/20/06 - 12:23AM »
That is based on spring rate and what tire your running and it's PSI.  I don't personally know the spring rate of R.E., superlift, or R.C.

I did a long time ago and back the rock krawler had the lightest spring rate ( I used for custom TJ).

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #57 on: 09/20/06 - 12:46AM »
Here are the instructions for the X-Series if you wanted to take a look and see what all it entails. I would recommend that anyone who is wanting to help with this get familiar with the instructions for the kit she decides to go with.

http://www.roughcountry.com/1668X.pdf

Offline Jeepdog

• Level 1
« Reply #58 on: 09/21/06 - 10:00AM »
Hey If you need a place to work on your jeep. we can use my shop as long as we can work out the time and details. let me know. :cool:

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #59 on: 09/21/06 - 11:30AM »
Jeepdog's shop is one to be envied by all. I'd take him up on it Steph.