Author Topic: Building from a 2.5 Suspension lift  (Read 8349 times)

Offline YellowTJ

• Level 2
Re: Building from a 2.5 Suspension lift
« Reply #60 on: 09/21/06 - 03:37PM »
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Spidertrax-Wheel-Spacer-Kit-Jeep-XJ-YJ-TJ-ZJ-KJ_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ42614QQihZ018QQitemZ280029403441QQrdZ1

http://cgi.ebay.com/JEEP-CHEROKEE-WRANGLER-4X4-WHEEL-SPACERS-NEW_W0QQitemZ250031021646QQihZ015QQcategoryZ100909QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

These are some wheel spacers I've found will these work?  I figured out what I was looking for the 5x4.5 but don't know how thick.  Looks like there are 1", 1.25, 1.5, and 2"

I wrote Jeepdog about the when to set this up.[/url]
color=yellow]
_l----l_
OlllllllO
[]--o-[]      "YellowTJ"

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #61 on: 09/21/06 - 03:49PM »
Good Lord, don't buy those ones from the foreign seller... You'll get some crappy FRENCH aluminum or something....

THe SPyderco ... you are only buying the name. Though they are made from the good aluminum t6061. Plus I don't like the dorkey anodized blue that they are.

This is where I bought mine... there are made from the t6061 as well. and a fraction of the price of the spyderco's. I am very pleased with mine.

1.5 inch set $115

2 Inch set - This is what I have $129

There is no better for wheel spacers.
EVERY NORMAL MAN MUST BE TEMPTED AT TIMES TO SPIT ON HIS HANDS, HOIST THE BLACK FLAG, AND BEGIN SLITTING THROATS.

Offline TanYJ

• Level 4
« Reply #62 on: 09/21/06 - 11:21PM »
Wheel spacers=extra crap to go wrong, and it puts a lot of undue stress on your outer bearings.  Besides, for that kind loot, you can buy a set of aero black steelies from summit, and have them in 4 or 5 days.  Also, 15 or 16" doesn't matter, all you should be concerned with is the outer circumfrence of the tire.  Unless there is something i am missing on the disc brake set-up on the Rubis, it shouldn't matter, and you would get more bang with 15s.

I linked all the stuff to you in a PM, but basically get a 3-3.5" backset on your trail rims, and get a decent set of LTB swampers, and keep your nice MTRs for the street, and you'll be cash ahead.  You're only going up another 1.5" so the 31s you're running now won't look too bad, and you'll get better MPG with the smaller ones.  Your speedo is calibrated to correctly read with your current tires, also.
J-ust.................It's
E-mpty.............Hip
E-very............To be
P-ocket.........[-]====[-]
.....The second mouse gets the cheese.....
"Skinny models, you can keep those..I like big corn-fed mid-western ho's"

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #63 on: 09/21/06 - 11:33PM »
wheel spacers have been given a bad name because of the stackable ones you get from Orielly's or PepBoys..

The wheel spacers I have and listed above are not stack ontop of your lugs and put no more stress on your axels or bearings than after market rims with thicker backspacing would.

I researched them well before adding them... sources that had nothing but good to say about them... were many top competitors in National tourneys, JP mag, 4Wheel Drive, and RockCrawler...  that was good enough for me.

I have pounded the crap out of them since I had them, if you could have seen me bouncing on Wagoneer... you'd know they were okay and tough as tough can get. Also, there are others that are made from a lesser grade of aluminum and they are what you have to watch out for... the good stuff is T6061 and that is what I have and pointed Steph to. I have checked mine twice since I put them on and they have not loosed, cracked or failed in anyway.

Okay .. I am off my soapbox now.  rebuttle anyone?
EVERY NORMAL MAN MUST BE TEMPTED AT TIMES TO SPIT ON HIS HANDS, HOIST THE BLACK FLAG, AND BEGIN SLITTING THROATS.

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #64 on: 09/21/06 - 11:36PM »
I trust them.  If you saw all the lifted Dually's back home and the loads they pull.  I'd run them no ?'s asked.  

Dually's run them to space out tires from each other to run wider tires.
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #65 on: 09/21/06 - 11:43PM »
You're only going up another 1.5" so the 31s you're running now won't look too bad,

She's going up 4" ... 31's = a big fat negatory...  :agree:

Offline TanYJ

• Level 4
« Reply #66 on: 09/22/06 - 12:02AM »
She is currently running a 2.5" kit, and is loosing that to go with the 4", or that's what Cristy told me, earlier in the week.  I'm just pointing to a more economical way to go.  Also, i'm a trade machinist & set-up man that knows a bit about metallurgy & physics.  Basically, you can run the spacers, but you have more joints, and more bolts/lugs to get messed up that equals more wear.  You can't beat steel on steel for strength & compression resistance on rugged terrain, and then turn around and drive home.

Jimmy, you have been running those for a couple weeks, and I know Steph is going to be running her jeep every day.  If she is going up 6.5" total, then the 31s are too small, if she is removing the 2.5s, and going up just 4, they will be just fine.  

I know for a fact that overall cost is a major factor in this upgrade.
E-mpty.............Hip
E-very............To be

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #67 on: 09/22/06 - 12:13AM »
You read it right dick she is only gonna have 4" when it's done.

I also suggested the cheapy steel wheel route but as a single set.  I didn't figure she would want to change tires and wheels every other weekend.  But she wanted to keep her Rubi wheels.

Aaron
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #68 on: 09/22/06 - 01:25AM »
Your right Dick, she is gaining only 1.5.  :bowdown: My bad.

I do drive my Jeep everyday as well... never have been much for riding a bike to work. I got too much junk I have to take back and forth.

Yes I have only had the spacers for a couple of weeks, but have abused them pretty good in that time... I think there great, should they ever fail for some crazy reason, I'll come back to this thread and drink a big ol glass of crow in your honor Dick!  :beer:

Offline TanYJ

• Level 4
« Reply #69 on: 09/22/06 - 07:54AM »
LOL, no probs.  I always look at the practical sides of things.  Changing from street tires to trail tires is a pain in the arse, but it also forces you to visualy inspect all 4 corners of your DD rig after you wheel.  Brake/lines, calipers, spindles, bearing leaks, runout, lug condition, etc.  Plus, if you shell a trail tire (ask Mike & Rick) then you don't have to scramble to get something to drive on monday.  It is also much cheaper to find/buy a set of 33 15s than 33 16s, used.  as well as steelies

From 4 sale thread that is current:

http://www.ozarksjeepthing.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4042
E-mpty.............Hip
E-very............To be

Offline YellowTJ

• Level 2
« Reply #70 on: 09/22/06 - 02:42PM »
Hadn't looked at this in about 1 and a half days and missed the wheel spacer debate.  Sorry ISO I didn't know you'd responded to me here or I'd saved time looking at all those spacers last night.  I'm going with the ones you showed me above.

I'm going with the spacers as I can not trade the good looking Rubicon wheels.  I know it's cheaper by far to just get some steals and stop with the spacers and the higher dollar amount on the tires for the 16" however the mind is made up and I'm keeping those Rubi wheels they are too much a part of that Jeep, it'd be like peeling the Rubicon letters off the hood.  

-- I mean who'd do that?
color=yellow]
_l----l_
OlllllllO
[]--o-[]      "YellowTJ"

Offline LibertyPatriot

• I vote for BACON!
  • Charter Members
  • Level 5
  • Web Wheeler!
« Reply #71 on: 09/22/06 - 03:57PM »
Quote from: "YellowTJ"
it'd be like peeling the Rubicon letters off the hood.  

-- I mean who'd do that?

There's a guy at the building next door to my work that did just that to a Rubi Unlimited.  I thought he just put the Moab wheels on a standard Unlimited at first, but I guess not.
I'd put something funny here, but you probably wouldn't get it anyway...

Offline YellowTJ

• Level 2
« Reply #72 on: 09/22/06 - 04:12PM »
There are weird people out there I guess, I however spent too much for those letters and wheels not to show them off.  Yeah sure those tires and letters came with some other stuff like lockers, and so on but you can't see those.   :agree:
color=yellow]
_l----l_
OlllllllO
[]--o-[]      "YellowTJ"

Offline LibertyPatriot

• I vote for BACON!
  • Charter Members
  • Level 5
  • Web Wheeler!
« Reply #73 on: 09/22/06 - 07:15PM »
I like a sleeper I guess.  Drag car, truck whatever.
I'd put something funny here, but you probably wouldn't get it anyway...

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #74 on: 09/22/06 - 07:23PM »
I'm keeping those Rubi wheels they are too much a part of that Jeep, it'd be like peeling the Rubicon letters off the hood.

Proud Ruby owner chimes in: Amen sister.