Author Topic: CJ webber carb problems  (Read 2001 times)

Offline ycheese

• Level 1
  • 84 RENAGADE
CJ webber carb problems
« on: 03/17/07 - 01:19PM »
I have a webber 38 on my 84 cj 4.2 and having problems with it loading up. A gm hei distributer has helped but still runs rich on incline. Also on sharp bumps on hill climbs or wopty dos, anything up and down in the front gives a short stall. Thougt it was the old amc ignition but still does it with the hei. Is something in the carb cutting fuel?     ANY suggestions appriciated.  Thanks, CHEESE :confused:
84 Renagade  CJ 7 , 4.56 gears. lock rites F&R. AMC20,Dana30. keep the dirty side down! CHEESE =)

Offline TanYJ

• Level 4
Re: CJ webber carb problems
« Reply #1 on: 03/18/07 - 12:28AM »
Toss it and get a Howell TBI, webers are ok, but i have the same problem with my weber, and if you go with a 2150 motorcraft, you get like 5mpg.

:banghead:
J-ust.................It's
E-mpty.............Hip
E-very............To be
P-ocket.........[-]====[-]
.....The second mouse gets the cheese.....
"Skinny models, you can keep those..I like big corn-fed mid-western ho's"

Blueyellow

« Reply #2 on: 03/18/07 - 10:07AM »
when I Had my 2150 set up for Road driving I got at least 12 MPG with 4.56 gears and 33's.. But dick is right If you set it up to Run upside down. You will get like 5 mpg
Al

Offline ycheese

• Level 1
  • 84 RENAGADE
« Reply #3 on: 03/18/07 - 04:38PM »
I have seen the sites about the 2100 and 2150 any advantage to one or the other? thanks for the replys! FI would be the way to go but the kids collage fund will not allow. :agree:  CHEESE
84 Renagade  CJ 7 , 4.56 gears. lock rites F&R. AMC20,Dana30. keep the dirty side down! CHEESE =)

Offline TanYJ

• Level 4
« Reply #4 on: 03/18/07 - 08:48PM »
I just spoke to Kyle today, and he fixed his weber on his old CJ-5 by dropping the floats until they just barely let any fuel into the bowls, and had no more problems with it after that.  He also said it didn't affect his mpg either.  I am going to try that on mine before i drop the $1k on a TBI.

I haven't upgraded my ignition, yet, but that is going to happen sooner than later.  Did you get one from a junkyard & redo the gear, or buy one from the ebay guys?  That's something i would actually like to find out from YOU.
E-mpty.............Hip
E-very............To be

Offline ycheese

• Level 1
  • 84 RENAGADE
« Reply #5 on: 03/19/07 - 07:55PM »
Thanks for the tip, now will that help the bump stall, or the rich inclines . I suck at carbs!! :confused:          As for the GM HEI question ill answer it in the next subject in the technical forum marked CJ GM HEI so we will stay on subject.  CHEESE  :cool:

Offline TanYJ

• Level 4
« Reply #6 on: 03/19/07 - 10:18PM »
He said it virtually eliminated the bump stall & loading up.  But, you have to drop a lot of time on it, and it has to be set correctly before starting this.  Who knows, i'll be broke this week anyhow, i may play with it some.
E-mpty.............Hip
E-very............To be

Offline CJaredo7

• Level 2
« Reply #7 on: 03/25/07 - 10:39PM »
I had a 2100 on my rig for 3 years and averaged 12mpg with 35's and 4.56 gears, locked in the rear...  before I regeared I was getting around 18 as an estimate...  2100 carbs are awesome for the money.  just get smaller jets for it (I used 47's) and tune it right, it will treat you well.  If you have the 2150, use something like a 45-46 jet and you're good to go.  :D right Al?
82 CJ-7 Laredo with some stuff...read about it at http://www.inajeep.com/

CJaredo7

Offline huck1974

• Level 1
« Reply #8 on: 03/31/07 - 11:33PM »
I'm also having a tough time with the weber on my CJ. Anyone in springfield have time to stop by my shop sometime and point me in the right direction? Mucho thanks in advance.
994 Land Rover Defender 90 arles blue