Author Topic: need help yj got the shakes  (Read 1776 times)

Offline zuki

• Level 2
need help yj got the shakes
« on: 04/ 8/07 - 11:42PM »
i have noticed when I hit a bump on pavement the front tires seem to shake in and out and i can feel it in the pedals and if i turn the wheel sharp to one side or the other if i am rolling it pops loud, any one had this problem.  this is a 94 yj 2.5 5 speed with a 2inch body lift and 31x10.50 tires other then that it is stock
94 YJ <br />03 Chevy ext 4x4 <br />88.5 samurai <br />82 chevy short bed 2wd <br />()_) ()_)-o-)_)

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
Re: need help yj got the shakes
« Reply #1 on: 04/ 8/07 - 11:46PM »
Have you check wheel bearings, ball joints, and axle joints?  Axle joints might be cause of pop but should not cause wobble.  

The bearings and ball joints are what I would check first and can be done easily enough.
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline zuki

• Level 2
« Reply #2 on: 04/ 8/07 - 11:54PM »
i  had the hubs both replaced and the axle joints when i got the jeep you could move the wheel up and down it had alot of play now it doesnt have any play it goes straight down the road at 70mph but first bump i hit it does it . it will do it at any speed, as for the poping it will not do it if i am siting still if i move it forward or rev it  pops loud if the wheel are turn all the way
94 YJ <br />03 Chevy ext 4x4 <br />88.5 samurai <br />82 chevy short bed 2wd <br />()_) ()_)-o-)_)

Offline Project92YJ

• Level 3
« Reply #3 on: 04/ 9/07 - 12:10AM »
have you check the track arm bushings for the wobble you feel and for the popping it might be the rear axle twisting if you never got the rer track arm fixxed. Goff was going to add a traction arm to the rear to help out with that. The rear Springs where a little soft and let it twist on take off

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #4 on: 04/ 9/07 - 12:14AM »
tie rod ends?
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline zuki

• Level 2
« Reply #5 on: 04/ 9/07 - 12:24AM »
I will check track arm bushings can those be bought or do you have to buy a new track arm, and no i have not fixed the rear track arm will that help the problem with the front. i also replaced the drivers side motor mount it was gone the front drive shaft was shot could the trans mount be bad and cause it to shake. And for the tie rods wouldnt it shake with out hiting a bump at higher speeds? this thing drive great until i hit a bump,it doesnt pull and the  steering wheel doesnt shake at all it just feels like the brake and clutch pedals are going to fall off because they are shaking so bad and it feels as the hole jeep shakes.

Offline huck1974

• Level 1
« Reply #6 on: 04/ 9/07 - 12:29AM »
pm me and we will take it over to my shop and get it figured out. Probably can't help you until saturday though. It will cost you one beer and a handshake.
994 Land Rover Defender 90 arles blue

Offline Project92YJ

• Level 3
« Reply #7 on: 04/ 9/07 - 12:32AM »
Johns 4x4 has replace bushing for about 13.00 and they are the polyuritane ones. you have to just heat the old ones out and slid in the new ones. Tranny mount I think I have a poly one for it. if not I now pep boys do have it for about 35 for the poly

Offline OJTV8CJ

• Charter Members
  • Level 4
« Reply #8 on: 04/ 9/07 - 10:41AM »
Have the alignment checked.  What you are describing is called bump steer, but I would check all the other stuff first.
I cut sheetmetal for free.  It's fixing it that get's expensive.