Author Topic: Clutch Work  (Read 1055 times)

Offline Jeeper guy

• Level 3
  • OINK
Clutch Work
« on: 01/22/08 - 05:19PM »
      Ive got a 90 yj and I'm having some issues with shifting and going into gear, and i believe the clutch is going out. When i engage the clutch it acts like nothing is happening or it sometimes grinds when shifting, so defiantly not the smoothest. Does anybody know a good reasonable place to get some clutch work done,or some diagnostics. Any clues on what is going on, or some help would be appreciated.
                                                                 Thanks, Alex
First you crawl, then you walk, then you drive, then you crawl again....

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
Re: Clutch Work
« Reply #1 on: 01/22/08 - 05:22PM »
Did u check your slave cylinder to make sure you aren't loosing fluid? 

As far as shops I'd recommend would be

Johns 4x4 in Billings: 417-744-2721

Safari Offroad in Nixa:  417-724-0402
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline Jeeper guy

• Level 3
  • OINK
« Reply #2 on: 01/22/08 - 05:27PM »
I havent checked my slave cylinder yet but will check it out, or call johns or safari.
                            Thanks alex                 

Offline Jeeper guy

• Level 3
  • OINK
« Reply #3 on: 01/29/08 - 06:19PM »
              I checked my fluid level in my master cylinder and it is at max, I am going to bleed the clutch, maybe im getting air into the system/lines and it causes the clutch to not work properly. I also found that the slve cylinder is internal not external, wich means the trans. must come out in order to service and replace. This is the info to my knowledge..... correct me if im wrong.
                                                                           Thanks,
                                                                                Alex

Offline TanYJ

• Level 4
« Reply #4 on: 01/29/08 - 06:56PM »
If you have to pull the whole thing out, you might check on going to an external slave cylinder.  I had to scrap my ba-10 a few years ago, and the "kit" i bought brand new with the 3550 i HAD put in came with all that crap.  Ask YJaaron about specifics on what donor junkyard rigs those came on, and you might be able to switch it out pretty easily/cheaply.  I know it's added expense, but it might save you some headaches/hassles in the future.

Shane @ Safari put mine in, but it was a brand new kit in a box from AA.  John would probably know off the top of his head where to get a donor bell housing.  Good luck.
J-ust.................It's
E-mpty.............Hip
E-very............To be
P-ocket.........[-]====[-]
.....The second mouse gets the cheese.....
"Skinny models, you can keep those..I like big corn-fed mid-western ho's"

Offline Jeeper guy

• Level 3
  • OINK
« Reply #5 on: 02/ 3/08 - 12:18AM »
           Alright.....so I bled the clutch and got some air bubbles out of the lines. Wich I guess is good in some ways yet bad. I thinking ive got some bad seal or a hole somwhere, that the air is getting into. I then drove the HEEP and the clutch pedal felt ALOT different, Now when i push the clutch pedal in I dont have to push down very much, maybe 2" to engage the clutch. So now what.... Should the pedal be like this or is there anything i should look for.... Also is there any preventive measure to help this not happen again or at least for awhile.
                                                                      Thanks,
                                                                              Alex