Author Topic: 98 Wrangler Dash Guages at 0?  (Read 1059 times)

Offline tortuga

• Level 2
98 Wrangler Dash Guages at 0?
« on: 09/ 7/06 - 02:40PM »
On and off in the last couple of days my dash guages are not woking.
They just sit at 0.
Anyone had this problem.
I thought it might be a fuse but doesnt seem to be.
My brother had the same problem on his 98 Cherokee Sport.
Thanks if anyone has any info.

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
Re: 98 Wrangler Dash Guages at 0?
« Reply #1 on: 09/ 7/06 - 03:36PM »
I had it after my gauges got wet.  My gauges would just die driving down the road.  A nice smack to top of the dash above cluster brought them back to life.
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline OJTV8CJ

• Charter Members
  • Level 4
« Reply #2 on: 09/ 7/06 - 03:56PM »
I would check all of the bulkhead connectors.  If that didn't fix it I would remove the cluster and reinstall it to reconnect the pins on the back.

If that didn't work I would drive into a telephone pole and total it to get a new one, but I tend to overreact with violence at times. :bigeyes: j/k

I do have Mitchell's disks that I will check for TSB's tonight or tommorrow and see if there are any "known" problems.
I cut sheetmetal for free.  It's fixing it that get's expensive.

Offline highsociety

• Level 4
« Reply #3 on: 09/ 7/06 - 04:10PM »
If you remove the defrost vent cover unscrew and remove dash the connections on the back of the instrument cluster are proan to get dust and grim built up.  Take air hose and blow gently across both and reinstall should fix the problem.
2009 Sponsors:
S&S Auto, Staun, Corbeau, Clayton Offroad, Edmonds Dental Prosthetics, Kching, Indian Ridge Resort, Ballzout Lifstyle, John's 4x4, Brown Dog Industries

SAY HELLO TO MY LITTLE FRIEND!!!

Offline billy bob

« Reply #4 on: 09/ 7/06 - 04:25PM »
check behind the cluster assembly on the metal frame there is ground wires and they get corroded causing multipul dash concerns

Offline Jeepdog

• Level 1
« Reply #5 on: 09/ 7/06 - 04:39PM »
I have a 97 the hitting the dash thing worked for a while But it finially quit al together. I did not try the air thing but that sounds good. I hooked and unhooked several time which did work some times. I also would press on the center of the cluster just right and that worked. But in the end I had to get a new one or at least a good used one. new was out of the question I called clements auto salvage in branson 417-334-3237 and got one for less than 100. They said they sale several a year for that reason. :redwrang:  I have my old one if you want to try it out for some reason maybe part???

Offline shortfat300

« Reply #6 on: 09/10/06 - 01:27AM »
Had a 98 TJ, same thing.  I unhooked the plugs and used a small needle nose plier to slightly turn the spades about 1/8 turn all in the same direction.  Then carefully push the connection back together.  Many of the Chrysler dash hookups seem to have the same problem, something to do with the fit of the spades into the receptors.  the 1/8 "twist" will make the connections tighter and there shouldn't be anymore "0".  OJTV8XJ turned me on to this a couple of years ago and it worked great.  Even did the same thing to my 96 Neon "The Turd" when it started doing it a few months ago.  Hope that helps.

shortfat300
hortfat300