Author Topic: Need some help  (Read 2245 times)

Offline bck4more

• Level 1
Need some help
« on: 06/14/10 - 10:14PM »
So ive got an 87 with I6 in it and i recently did a SOA with a sye. Well im having this noise which sounds like its coming from the transmission or transfer case and as i speed up its more noticeable but i cant really describe the noise and also it seems pretty loose driving down the road. I took it to a front end shop and they said everything looked good. So heres the question im wondering if anyone would be interested in maybe taking a listen and tell me if its a normal sound or what not thanks everyone. Oh and im in Nixa but i would go where every to meet someone
Live it and learn by it.

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
Re: Need some help
« Reply #1 on: 06/14/10 - 11:09PM »
If I was closer i'd be happy to help.  What trans do you have?  The early YJ 5 speeds are noisey because they are junk.  Have you checked fluids in case and trans?
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline bck4more

• Level 1
« Reply #2 on: 06/14/10 - 11:42PM »
Well mines an automatic. Yeah ive checked the fluids and they seem fine. Where you at
Live it and learn by it.

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #3 on: 06/15/10 - 12:14AM »
225 miles from there.  You may PM b-love he can have a look.  Yes I just volunteered someone else! 

How much slack was in chain when you had it apart?  Did you alter your pinion angle to compensate for SYE?
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline bck4more

• Level 1
« Reply #4 on: 06/15/10 - 09:17AM »
Well I had the sye installed by Safari Off-road in Nixa and yes I turned my pinion up. Ill pm him and see if he could give it a listen. Thanks for ur help
Live it and learn by it.

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #5 on: 06/15/10 - 10:37AM »
If you can post a pic of your driveline angle.  A couple degrees off can cause a weird noise and vibes.

New or used CV shaft?

Offline bck4more

• Level 1
« Reply #6 on: 06/15/10 - 01:13PM »
Its a new Tom woods. The angle is dead on I had 3 people check it. I'm not getting any vibes just noise That seems to be coming from the front of transfer case. I'm wondering if its just the front drive shaft I'm hearing
Live it and learn by it.

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #7 on: 06/15/10 - 01:36PM »
That's an easy check.  You pull out 8 8mm bolts and remove the front shaft.  If you do take it off check for play in the front yoke, could have bearing going out.

Offline npwade

« Reply #8 on: 06/15/10 - 10:24PM »
dID YOU DO THE SOA? Or have a shop do it?? Not saying you do bad work if you did it....Just saying an SOA has to be pretty dam close or you will here noises from all over..The angles for BOTH shafts gotta be real close or they both will make all kinds of noise.Hope its not the transfer,or tranny going it..good luck,If you can't find someone to listen to it.I just moved here from FL. Now live in Srafford. I will be home all weekend workin on my YJ..You could shoot a PM. Again good luck
                                pete

Offline bck4more

• Level 1
« Reply #9 on: 06/16/10 - 08:39AM »
I had the shop do it for me
Live it and learn by it.

Offline why jay

• Level 2
« Reply #10 on: 06/17/10 - 12:15AM »
I wouldn't think that it the front drive shaft at high speeds. Shouldn't be moving unless u are n 4wd. There r lots of people on here with more knowledge than I have that can help. If time goes by with no assisistance then I will volanteer. But beleive me, u would rather have one of the others.
I am Joe the plumber.

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #11 on: 06/17/10 - 12:57AM »
Jay,  if stock it wouldn't, however if it has 1 piece shafts, or a locker then it would be turning.

Offline bck4more

• Level 1
« Reply #12 on: 06/17/10 - 10:35AM »
I have the front locked in with a spring because it would keep kicking out do to a vac problem so with the spring it keeps the fork locked in but i should actually be in 4wd till i shift the transfer case.
Live it and learn by it.

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #13 on: 06/17/10 - 03:19PM »
If the shift fork on the axle is engaged your front shaft is spinning.  Your case isn't engaged until you shift though.