Author Topic: paint  (Read 2288 times)

Offline Jeeper guy

• Level 3
  • OINK
paint
« on: 12/14/08 - 01:43AM »
Ive got some TNT phantom fenders coming in this week, I wanted them painted black because my 18 year ol red paint isn't gunna be easy to match. So i called around and got some estimates on paint and places are giving me quotes like 500 bucks 'WTF'  :hmmm:. Is this common for just painting two fenders black ? Anybody around know of any places that they would recommend  to get some paint work done?  
First you crawl, then you walk, then you drive, then you crawl again....

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
Re: paint
« Reply #1 on: 12/14/08 - 01:47AM »
Have you considered getting a gun and some singlestage black?  There is a member who does a little on the side, but have to ask him at meeting. 
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #2 on: 12/14/08 - 02:27AM »
yeah that sounds a little high, call Duane Jennings he owns Jennings Auto Body out in Fordland (417) 767-2170; he wheels with me alot; he's a good ole boy and he'll shoot you right on price. If his price is still too much; bring em over and I'll help you prime prep and paint them... or you can always call Mayco; they're cheap. either way you go; your probably looking at $100 for materials. (sand paper, primer,paint)

oh and congrats on the fenders... tnt makes great stuff; I have their fenders on my jeep.
« Last Edit: 12/14/08 - 02:29AM by whitehead »
EVERY NORMAL MAN MUST BE TEMPTED AT TIMES TO SPIT ON HIS HANDS, HOIST THE BLACK FLAG, AND BEGIN SLITTING THROATS.

Offline Jeeper guy

• Level 3
  • OINK
« Reply #3 on: 12/14/08 - 02:59AM »
Yeah Mayco was one of the places i called and they quoted me like 480... but i think they said they wouldn't even touch aftermarket fenders? Yeah I'm excited about the fenders but geeze TNT is slow i ordered them a month ago and they were shipped last Tuesday. I might just end up with doing them myself or with some help? Hey Jimmy on your fenders how much finish work was required, or what did you do with yours?

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #4 on: 12/14/08 - 08:09PM »
I finished out all the welds that were on the topside (viewable); primered and painted (Jason Harris did anyway.. the guy who did my flames). I just didn't want the welds showing is why I had him finish mine out, but since you have the phantoms I don't think you'll need to do that, the welds won't show anyway.. at least I don't think they will... You'll be way ahead to mount them up first, get all your holes drilled for the stuff that mounts to the fenderwells... then take them off and primer and paint them; otherwise you'll stand a chance of scratching up your paint try to make everything fit.
EVERY NORMAL MAN MUST BE TEMPTED AT TIMES TO SPIT ON HIS HANDS, HOIST THE BLACK FLAG, AND BEGIN SLITTING THROATS.

Offline Jeeper guy

• Level 3
  • OINK
« Reply #5 on: 12/15/08 - 06:12PM »
Alright, thanks for all the help guys. Ill see what they look like when they come in.
If i have any questions or need help ill pm ya jimmy.

Alex

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #6 on: 12/15/08 - 07:57PM »
also on mine; I forgot to say... is that I had to get a cold air intake because the stock airbox would no longer fit... I also had to relocate my windshield washer jug. Not sure if you will have to do this on a YJ  or not... they should tell you on their site if so.

Offline Jeeper guy

• Level 3
  • OINK
« Reply #7 on: 12/15/08 - 11:36PM »
Yea I'm pretty sure ill have to do the aftermarket air intake, or relocate the stock box? Not sure about the washer fluid box though if so it shouldn't be a problem. Cant wait to get these fenders on though, i haven't seen too many phantoms around, i think ill like them.

Offline bronco72

• Level 1
« Reply #8 on: 12/17/08 - 01:06AM »
if you need any help gimme a call ill heat the shop up.  btw i have two hvlp guns i would love to use.

Offline LibertyPatriot

• I vote for BACON!
  • Charter Members
  • Level 5
  • Web Wheeler!
« Reply #9 on: 12/17/08 - 01:36PM »
My guess on the high quotes is the shops are hearing aftermarket fenders and thinking JC Whitney fenders that would need reworked to make look factory.  If you're talking about steel fabricated fenders without needing putty and filling and you're going to bash them around, I wouldn't worry about spending big money on paint.  Hell, I'll bet powder coating would be much cheaper than all the paint quotes you're getting.  Try CnC Prep and Paint in Nixa.  Hwy 160 to E. on Tracker Rd and about half mile on your left.
I'd put something funny here, but you probably wouldn't get it anyway...

Offline CRAZY LARRY

• Charter Members
  • Level 3
« Reply #10 on: 12/17/08 - 07:08PM »
if your fender have black primer on them that need to be sanded off to get the paint to stick on good.then you can spray an expoy primer then you can spray sealer and paint on them.
Zombie brains; smells like fish taste like chicken.

Offline Jeeper guy

• Level 3
  • OINK
« Reply #11 on: 12/21/08 - 06:25PM »
Well got the fenders in yesterday after ups lost them for about two weeks. Got them all pre mounted drilled all my holes and it went pretty good. Got them primed and painted yesterday and installed them this morning. These are some awesome fenders, I do have some issues with the stock filter box though so something fab'd up is possibly in the works. The washer jug and coolant reservoir mounted all right, the battery tray required some cutting. As far as the intake goes I cant find anybody that makes one for a 90' YJ. ill get some pics posted up asap ! 8)

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #12 on: 12/21/08 - 10:17PM »
awesome Alex.. can't wait to see the pics.. to bad you weren't out at the Ranch today, could have broke them in.

Offline goldswim5

• Level 2
« Reply #13 on: 12/21/08 - 10:37PM »
yeah we had one heck of a time today  8)

can't wait to see those fenders

Offline Jeeper guy

• Level 3
  • OINK
« Reply #14 on: 12/22/08 - 03:02AM »
Alright here's some pics of the heep with the phantoms on, what do you think? I love these fenders, yeah i wish i could have been there today to get in some wheeling but was unable.
these fenders are strong, me and my buddy got on them for a combined weight of 450 lbs(we arent small guys) and they held up just fine. Now im gunna need longer shocks and to do something with my bump stops?

jeep front

jeep side

jeep side 2