Author Topic: Need help with some upgrades  (Read 1940 times)

Offline jmk654

• Level 1
Need help with some upgrades
« on: 04/ 2/09 - 02:19PM »
Just got my 04' TJ about 2 wks. ago and now have a little extra cash and want to make some upgrades.  First of all I am thinking power and fuel economy, whats the best bang for the buck?   Air intake, throttle body spacer. etc?  Do they work?  If so which brand to buy?  Next is tires, I am debating between the baja MTZ and procomp Xtreme M/T.  I am favoring the Procomp but want some opinions.

Thanks for the imput
Klemme

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
Re: Need help with some upgrades
« Reply #1 on: 04/ 2/09 - 02:29PM »
Yes they work... made a BIG difference in my Jeep. Do the Air Intake, Throttle Body spacer, Flowmaster, If money is no object get a hi-flow Cat converter and TrailJammer chip to compliment the other intake goodies.  Before I went on to tires I'd go with some rocker guards and bumpers; then tires (bigger tires will kill your fuel and power), but you can always re-gear and get it back. Just my opinion. 

http://ozarksjeepthing.com/c/index.php/topic,8690.0.html

« Last Edit: 04/ 2/09 - 02:31PM by LoneWolf »
EVERY NORMAL MAN MUST BE TEMPTED AT TIMES TO SPIT ON HIS HANDS, HOIST THE BLACK FLAG, AND BEGIN SLITTING THROATS.

Offline Jeeper guy

• Level 3
  • OINK
« Reply #2 on: 04/ 3/09 - 01:34AM »
If your wanting tires go MTZ's, I would go mtzs over procomp anyday...... but that is my opinion.
First you crawl, then you walk, then you drive, then you crawl again....

Offline jmk654

• Level 1
« Reply #3 on: 04/ 3/09 - 01:45AM »
why is that?
Klemme

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #4 on: 04/ 3/09 - 01:48AM »
I'd 2nd the MTZ's.  Awesome tire with great offroad traction and decent on road.  I always try to avoid pro comps due to weak sidewalls.
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline CRAZY LARRY

• Charter Members
  • Level 3
« Reply #5 on: 04/ 3/09 - 02:00AM »
MTZ
Zombie brains; smells like fish taste like chicken.

Offline TJ-2thousand

• Level 4
  • When in doubt, throttle out!!!
« Reply #6 on: 04/ 3/09 - 02:13AM »
What about truXus MTs, or BFG MTs? I my truXus where great on and off road. But I love my new BFGs! They work great on everything!
CAMPING WITHOUT BEER IS JUST SLEEPING OUTSIDE!

Offline CRAZY LARRY

• Charter Members
  • Level 3
« Reply #7 on: 04/ 3/09 - 03:40AM »
TSL SX ARE ONE OF THE TUFFES TIRE OUT THERE. WEARS A LITTLE FAST GOOD TUFF SIDE WALLS STEEL BELTWH W

KELLER THREAD                     [more] 
Zombie brains; smells like fish taste like chicken.

Offline mike4089

• Level 2
« Reply #8 on: 04/ 3/09 - 10:27AM »
i like my pro comp x terrains...just my $.02

Offline jmk654

• Level 1
« Reply #9 on: 04/ 3/09 - 11:23AM »
I am wanting something thats good off road and decent on road, the jeep is my daily driver as well. 
Klemme

Offline jmk654

• Level 1
« Reply #10 on: 04/ 3/09 - 11:25AM »
As far as throttle body spacers go whats the best brand?  I seem to find a lot of Airaid on the web.  I know K&N is a popular brand but is it the best for the money? 
Klemme

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #11 on: 04/ 3/09 - 02:02PM »
I am wanting something thats good off road and decent on road, the jeep is my daily driver as well. 

Then go with the MTZ, you'll love em. I know several who run them and they swear by them.. of course I swear by my Krawlers... hehe to each their own.

As far as throttle body spacers go whats the best brand?  I seem to find a lot of Airaid on the web.  I know K&N is a popular brand but is it the best for the money? 

I'm a fan of the PowerAid by Airaid. There all gonna do the same; I don't think any one is better than the other. They may say they are... but in reality... it's all marketing. :P
EVERY NORMAL MAN MUST BE TEMPTED AT TIMES TO SPIT ON HIS HANDS, HOIST THE BLACK FLAG, AND BEGIN SLITTING THROATS.

Offline B-Love

• Level 2
« Reply #12 on: 04/ 3/09 - 08:25PM »
If you don't want to go to quite the expense of the MTZ, you might think about the Cooper STT's.  Derf1184 and I both run them and have had excellent results.  They are by far the best aggressive tire I have ever run in rain/snow. 
Don't sweat the petty things...Pet the sweaty things.

Offline Track3

• Charter Members
  • Level 2
« Reply #13 on: 04/ 6/09 - 01:05AM »
Go for the MTZ's. You won't be sorry.