Author Topic: Shop in Springfield, MO for Engine work?  (Read 3366 times)

Offline SkylineTj

• Level 1
Shop in Springfield, MO for Engine work?
« on: 09/19/12 - 12:30PM »
Hey guys, I recently bought a 2000 Wrangler Sport with the 4.0 and it has a few problems I would like to have taken care of.
It overheats, misfires, and has coolant in the oil.
My Aunt and Uncle, the previous owners who bought it brand new, had the radiator and thermostat housing replaced due to small leaks, and the spark plugs and head gasket replaced.
To me, it sounds like it could be a cracked/warped head, but I would like to know for sure.

I'd like to find a shop that is familiar with the 4.0 and can tear into it and let me know exactly what's wrong and get it fixed without breaking the bank too bad, lol.

I have my degree in automotive, but I don't have the time, facility, or tools to be able to tackle it.

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
Re: Shop in Springfield, MO for Engine work?
« Reply #1 on: 09/19/12 - 01:18PM »
I would consider Safari Off-Road in Nixa for it.
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline Donut

• Level 1
« Reply #2 on: 09/20/12 - 12:59AM »
Try Tailpipers in Billings. They handle everything from oil changes to working on race cars. Their number is 417-744-2273, talk to a guy named Brad or Gil tell them that Daryl recommend them to you. They'll work out a deal with you.

Offline SkylineTj

• Level 1
« Reply #3 on: 09/22/12 - 02:17AM »
Ended up taking it to Rick's Automotive in Springfield at Sunshine/Campbell, because I didn't trust driving it any further.

I did the after hours drop-off last night and they started diagnosing it around noon today and called to give me an update anytime they found out something new.

It's looking like it's not as bad as previously imagined, but could still turn out as the same outcome. They did a combustion gas test on the coolant and it came up clean, so the head/head gasket are fine, but they found that cylinder 3 never fires, and it's not the coil, plug, or injector. They are going to pull the valve cover on Monday and let me know if it has any obvious signs like a broken valve spring.

They've been super helpful so far, and I'll continue to update until my experience with them ends.

Offline Donut

• Level 1
« Reply #4 on: 09/22/12 - 10:13AM »
Hope it works out for ya dude good luck with it. Jeeps are a fun project I've had mine for almost 2 months and love ever minute I drive it

Offline Rmiller31

• Level 1
« Reply #5 on: 09/22/12 - 11:12PM »
Ricks lost my jeep once when they put a new clutch in my YJ.  Needless to say there was no charge when they found it.

Offline SkylineTj

• Level 1
« Reply #6 on: 09/23/12 - 11:33PM »
Ricks lost my jeep once when they put a new clutch in my YJ.  Needless to say there was no charge when they found it.
Curious as to the story behind this. lol

Offline SkylineTj

• Level 1
« Reply #7 on: 09/25/12 - 04:04PM »
Well, good news is....they haven't lost my Jeep, yet.

Bad news is....the head has a bent exhaust valve and tore up cylinder #3 causing coolant to leak into the cylinder, which thinned the oil lubrication in that cylinder enough for the piston to dig into the wall.

Long story short...It's going to need a motor, which is what I figured in the first place.

Offline Donut

• Level 1
« Reply #8 on: 09/25/12 - 05:35PM »
Springfield craigslist under auto parts. A guy in Branson west has one with complete wiring harness for $500, motor has 126,000 miles

Offline SkylineTj

• Level 1
« Reply #9 on: 09/29/12 - 09:35AM »
Thanks, I found one with 98k on it.

Hopefully it'll be done by the 4th so I can swing by the meeting.

Offline SkylineTj

• Level 1
« Reply #10 on: 10/ 2/12 - 07:29PM »
New motor was in, it was running great, but there is a vibration that you can feel when you have your hand on the Jeep.

They think it may be from the flywheel being turned, so they're pulling the motor back out and I'll hopefully have it back tomorrow afternoon if that's what the problem is.

Offline Donut

• Level 1
« Reply #11 on: 10/ 3/12 - 12:57AM »
That's some good news, hope to see you at the meeting thursday

Offline SkylineTj

• Level 1
« Reply #12 on: 10/ 3/12 - 02:01AM »
That's some good news, hope to see you at the meeting thursday
I'll be there as long as I get it back before then

Offline Donut

• Level 1
« Reply #13 on: 10/ 3/12 - 11:02AM »
Sounds good dude when ya get it back you're more than welcome to wheel with the group, I'm gonna join next week

Offline SkylineTj

• Level 1
« Reply #14 on: 10/ 4/12 - 07:02PM »
Picked it up this morning before work around 10.
Runs and drives like a champ.

I'll most likely be at the meeting as long as I get out of work on time.