Author Topic: Jeep TJ 5.3 motor swap??  (Read 2227 times)

Offline RoughSilver01

• Level 1
  • '01 60th Annv.
Jeep TJ 5.3 motor swap??
« on: 02/23/13 - 03:09PM »
Alright guys, has anyone done a swap for putting in a 5.3 liter chevy motor ever?? I've been wanting one, just since my 4.0 doesn't get the greatest gas mileage pushing my 33's that I have on it, I just figured since I'm only getting like 12-13 mpg I should swap in a 5.3 for V8 horsepower yet also getting ALOT better gas mileage! Has anyone done the swap cuz I'm wondering how much it costs to get the job completed with the adapters to make it run... I gotta quote this week on having it done from a local shop & their figure was $9519.09 completed... I just didn't know if that sounds like a good price or a little steeper than what I should be paying... I only paid $6800 for the Jeep so then I would be paying the price of the WHOLE JEEP PLUS ANOTHER $2100!! haha just let me know guys, let me know if I could get it done somewhere that also does that kinda work cheaper than what I've found... 
      :EDIT: I just got off the phone speaking to my friend Keegan that's really into jeeps about the swap, he said that I should just pass on the swap & do a 4.6 liter stroker kit on it, he said alot better torque, power, etc. but do all you guys think that would be better going with the stroker kit instead of the 5.3 swap?? He said it'd be more cost efficient & letting me do other mods instead of paying nearly $10k for a new motor... Just let me know guys!
                                      Thanks again!!   Brandon..
« Last Edit: 02/23/13 - 03:25PM by RoughSilver01 »
'01 Wrangler 4" Rough Country lift 33" M/T

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
Re: Jeep TJ 5.3 motor swap??
« Reply #1 on: 02/23/13 - 05:01PM »
You should consider swapping gears and getting back in your power band for efficiency no matter what you do. 
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline RoughSilver01

• Level 1
  • '01 60th Annv.
« Reply #2 on: 02/26/13 - 06:50PM »
Yea, I'm thinking that I'm gonna get my head that's ticking redone... I would really like to have some gears done but would also like a locker set-up also to improve off-road but I don't know who I can have do it kinda quickly but a good job?! I called John's 4x4 & they said that the only reliable locker to wanna put in is an ARB electric set-up...which I can understand liking that & not having problems like what he said would it would eliminate but are there any reliable lockers that will let loose going around corners & not allow the tires to be eaten up maybe?! Is there anyone that can even install lockers/gears for me?? I'm not expecting a free-way but I don't know who to turn to?!
   :/    I would really like to get some gears but really hope it'd better my mpg by a bit!
'01 Wrangler 4" Rough Country lift 33" M/T

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #3 on: 02/26/13 - 07:06PM »
You can call Safari Off Road in Nixa or 4 Wheeler Supply in Springfield (I'd try first). 

There are several options that are decent trade offs for price.
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato