Author Topic: M/T tire advice  (Read 2070 times)

Offline jfair

• Level 1
M/T tire advice
« on: 02/27/13 - 07:49PM »
I was kinda wanting to get some opinions on this subject.  My Savero M/T tires are probably on their last year. My YJ is a occasional off road rig so I am trying to get some opinions on what mud terrain that I can run at places like SMORR but still hit the highway and drive to lake. A good offroad tire that will not wear to fast on highways for a reasonable price...do they exist??. Saveros have been great but you can't find them and they are extremely loud..

Offline gjgoodale

• Level 3
  • ZMBR8D
Re: M/T tire advice
« Reply #1 on: 02/27/13 - 11:13PM »
They aren't cheap, but, I ran BFG KM2s for awhile on my last rig.  They were great all around!
Check the OJT Facebook page<br />http://www.facebook.com/groups/ozarksjeepthing/

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #2 on: 02/27/13 - 11:21PM »
If you can afford them Toyo MT's.  If you can't and want a great immitation Cooper STT.
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline Martinez

• Club Members
  • Level 4
« Reply #3 on: 02/27/13 - 11:33PM »
If you can afford them Toyo MT's.  If you can't and want a great immitation Cooper STT.

I took Aaron?s advice a year ago and have never been happier.  I am running the Cooper STT (33x12.50) and love them.  An entire set of 5 tires was only $900 shipped.
Take it out and play with it!

Offline jfair

• Level 1
« Reply #4 on: 02/28/13 - 07:18AM »
The BFG was the first ones I looked at and the the Nitto Grapplers at $1300 for 4...sounds like I need to check out the Coopers..man tires have gone up over the last several years!

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #5 on: 02/28/13 - 09:41AM »
Avoid mud grapplers and terra grapplers.  Neither work very well in our environment it seems.  The new Trail Grappler seems to be a great tire but I haven't owned a set yet.

Another one is the Mickey Thompson MTZ I love it for dual purpose use.
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline jfair

• Level 1
« Reply #6 on: 02/28/13 - 06:27PM »
That is exactly why I posted..wanted to see what kind of luck people have had with their tires...I think since nobody has tried these that has posted about them then they are not what I will get.

Offline 67alecto

• Level 2
« Reply #7 on: 02/28/13 - 10:52PM »
I love my Goodyear Duratracs - quiet on the road, great traction off.

Offline Cook5

• Club Members
  • Level 2
« Reply #8 on: 03/ 1/13 - 10:47AM »
I run 35" Mickey Thompson MTZ on my TJ and they seem to work very well on and off road.  A little noisier than my previous tires but not terrible.  I got them at Safari Off-Road in Nixa for $250 apiece (Mounted & balanced). I haven't had them long enough to tell what their road wear will be like especially since I don't drive my jeep every day.

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #9 on: 03/ 1/13 - 11:59AM »
I had 35" MTZ's on my last 3/4 ton diesel.  20K miles on it and a lot of them towing still over 1/2 tread.

Offline jfair

• Level 1
« Reply #10 on: 03/ 1/13 - 12:02PM »
Jeep won't even get 10,000 a year on it. Some runs to the lake is usually its farthest trip.

Offline jfair

• Level 1
« Reply #11 on: 03/ 6/13 - 07:57PM »
Wanted to update all of you that helped me out. I have priced all of the tires and got down to decision making time and decided to make one last call to good old Joe's tire shop. They shot me prices and said they offer Savero m/t a/t radials.... these are the same tires I got used and have been running fir six years. I have no clue how old they are but I have been very impressed by the on and off road performance.  They are a little loud but for $672 mounted and balanced I think I can deal with it. I checked reviews online and there are alot on Jeep Forum and all are great....figured I would let you all know mainly because of the price I got quoted..

Offline gjgoodale

• Level 3
  • ZMBR8D
« Reply #12 on: 03/ 6/13 - 08:00PM »
Is that what you got 33" tires for?
Check the OJT Facebook page<br />http://www.facebook.com/groups/ozarksjeepthing/

Offline jfair

• Level 1
« Reply #13 on: 03/ 6/13 - 08:04PM »
Yep 33x12.50r15...It was a suprise to me...the tires still have between a 1/4" and 3/8 tread but are dry rotting...but i have no clue off their age. Always have been happy with the mud results and they did good at SMORR

Offline jfair

• Level 1
« Reply #14 on: 03/ 6/13 - 08:22PM »
Im sorry ..Savero m/t g/t radials....not m/t a/t