Author Topic: Body Lifts  (Read 1715 times)

Offline Jeeper guy

• Level 3
  • OINK
Body Lifts
« on: 01/13/08 - 06:59PM »
      I was curious about installing a body lift something like 1 or 2 inches . Right now I've got a 4" suspension lift and was wanting to go a little higher. What are the trail benefits ? Wanting to know what brand are good and what to stay away from and how long do they take to install? Ive got a manual trans. so could I experience any shift problems or any drawbacks to installing the lift? I guess i also need to decide between a 1 or 2 inch lift, I'm afraid that if I get a 1" ill be back in the same position that I'm in now as far as wanting to go higher. Thanks for the help.
                               Alex
First you crawl, then you walk, then you drive, then you crawl again....

Offline OldYJ

• Charter Members
  • Level 5
Re: Body Lifts
« Reply #1 on: 01/13/08 - 09:06PM »
the only real trail benefit to a body lift is that it gives you more tire clearance.which inturns raises your center of gravity so the higher you go the more tire you can clear but the more top heavy you will be. I prefer a 1 to 2 inch lift myself. I have a 1in right now.plus by staying lower you don't have to worry as much about the shifters. 1 brand to the next they are all about the same it is just basically some spacers.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from
those who are willing to work and give to those who would not"
Thomas Jefferson

Offline TanYJ

• Level 4
« Reply #2 on: 01/13/08 - 09:19PM »
I put a +1" Daystar in mine a few months ago.  I like them just fine, but i wouldn't go any higher.  The Daystar's replace the old pucks with new poly-whatever spacers.
J-ust.................It's
E-mpty.............Hip
E-very............To be
P-ocket.........[-]====[-]
.....The second mouse gets the cheese.....
"Skinny models, you can keep those..I like big corn-fed mid-western ho's"

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #3 on: 01/13/08 - 09:22PM »
Personally I hate body lifts over 1".  I don't like the gap they create between body and frame.  That being said I'd like to add a 1" to mine to give my 300 a little more room so its not hitting the floor. 

If I order one I'll spend the extra $ to get poly instead of the hard plasic pucks.
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline Jeeper guy

• Level 3
  • OINK
« Reply #4 on: 01/14/08 - 01:02AM »
                  Ill probally go with the one inch then, poly-whatever. so i guess Daystar insted of performance acessories. Would there be a better choice of products to go a little higher instead of a body lift or shackles or major soa or six inch lift springs.............. Just thinking of all of the height possibilitys.
                          Thanks for all the help guys.
                                            Alex

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #5 on: 01/14/08 - 01:08AM »
What do you want to run for tires?  Do you have long term plans for axle swap?  To many unknowns to tell u what would be a good plan for long term. 
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline Jeeper guy

• Level 3
  • OINK
« Reply #6 on: 01/14/08 - 01:16AM »
           As of now the jeep is just my daily driver and my tires are 33x12.5x15 mt mtz's. I plan to bigger in the future possibly 36 or 38, 38 if i get a different daily driver, and use the jeep as a true trail rig. AS far as axles i plan on going to a ford 9 inch and dana 44 maybe even dana 60, but thats just in the future. Probaly some axles from a Bronco........ Any sugesstions ?

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #7 on: 01/14/08 - 01:21AM »
If you need a little more clearance now I'd add a 1" body lift or 1" shackle.  Either of which will benefit you later.  When you swap axles personally I'd do SOA and then the 1" body would set you up fine for 36's. 

I like low COG so I run 5.5" of lift (SOA ONLY) and 36's just trim to fit.

Offline Jeeper guy

• Level 3
  • OINK
« Reply #8 on: 01/14/08 - 01:29AM »
   I might buy some revolver shackles and z boxes from ROCKY {Jarod M.} so probaly not a shackle lift. Will shackles and a body lift help with flex or will there be nowhere to stuff the tires?

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #9 on: 01/14/08 - 01:32AM »
revolvers and zboxes help with drop so no need for room for compression.  A longer shackle does offer a little more leverage to help with flex.  Body lift makes no diff unless your compression is being stopped by tire contact. 

Offline Jeeper guy

• Level 3
  • OINK
« Reply #10 on: 01/14/08 - 01:43AM »
     Ok, Thanks for the help and getting me straightend out in the suspension dept. If i think of anymore questions i'll holler.