Author Topic: Death Wobble  (Read 1355 times)

Offline Rundel

Death Wobble
« on: 10/ 8/06 - 05:16PM »
I'm a new member but not new to Jeeps.  I've had a YJ, TJ, XJ, ZJ and my wife just sold her Liberty.   To stop from going through withdrawal, I bought an MJ (4.0L longbed, 4wd 5spd)   I have been debugging it and have it running decent but still need to improve the brakes.   My big problem is a re-occurring death wobble.  I have had the front end checked out, put on a new trac-bar, rebalanced the tires and checked the alignment.   But still when I hit a bump, especially the passenger front tire and above 30 mph, the Commanche will shake like a paint mixer.  I happend 12 times in five miles on a rough county road today.

Any suggestions on what to try next?   Any place you can recommend that know what they are doing with jeeps front ends?

TIA

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
Re: Death Wobble
« Reply #1 on: 10/ 8/06 - 05:43PM »
Slop in the steering box?  You said you had front end checked out?  Did this include: wheel bearings, ball joints, tie rod ends?

Aaron
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline HVACMASTER

• Level 3
« Reply #2 on: 10/ 8/06 - 07:51PM »
the two times on two different vehicles i had was a bad tire.  jack the vehicle up and spin the tires, you may find a bubble in one.  happened to me on a cj and a blazer i owned, scares the crap out of you and its was always concistant to about 35 miles an hour front end would hope around out of control.

Offline Rundel

« Reply #3 on: 10/ 8/06 - 09:44PM »
tie rod ends, bearings, ball joints all checked out.   The steering box could stand to be adjusted.   I just had the tires removed and a spin balance done.   I can drive on smooth payment without any real issues.  It seems to occur most when there has been a bump or dip in the road that upsets the suspension.

I'm starting to wonder about ordering new bushing to install through out the front end.  Is there a source other than Quadratec?  and who around here really knows Jeeps and can work on the front end?

Mark

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #4 on: 10/ 8/06 - 10:09PM »
You could probably get someones used stock arms a LOT cheaper than buying all new bushing kit if you want to try that out.

I know YellowTJ has a set off her rubi with like 15K on them.

Aaron
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Blueyellow

« Reply #5 on: 10/ 8/06 - 11:07PM »
HMMM Hey do you have it lfted??? If so It kinda sounds like Bump steer. Do you have a drop Pitman arm on it? Just an Idea
Al

Offline Rundel

« Reply #6 on: 10/ 8/06 - 11:43PM »
No lift, stock height.   It has 155,000 on it and has spent the last seven years being used on a farm near Miller.  The previous owner kept the fluids changed but little other maintenance.  When I got it Ihad to fix the back brakes, they weren't working.  It took new wheel cylinders as well as shoes, the a/c works after taking a charge.  It ran warm till I blew out a few pounds of fescue seed out of the radiator.  It has a ticking noise in the number four cylinder but runs good.

Offline TanYJ

• Level 4
« Reply #7 on: 10/ 9/06 - 12:40AM »
Are the springs worn out?  155k and the last probly 50k on a farm could have worn them out, and cause a lot of drama.
J-ust.................It's
E-mpty.............Hip
E-very............To be
P-ocket.........[-]====[-]
.....The second mouse gets the cheese.....
"Skinny models, you can keep those..I like big corn-fed mid-western ho's"