Author Topic: tranny swap will a aw4 go in the place of a 44re  (Read 1082 times)

Offline redneck_punk

• Level 2
Does anyone know if a aw4 trans will enterchange with a 5.2 in a 96 grand or one that will interchange.  If I cant find one that will enterchange I am going to need to rebuild the one in it unless some one has a 44re laying around
t's a Jeep NOT a sheep get off my tail!!!!!!!!

Offline Kcolg

• Level 1
Re: tranny swap will a aw4 go in the place of a 44re
« Reply #1 on: 10/31/06 - 12:04AM »
The easy answer is No.  It was originally designed to mate up to the 4.0 so you would first have to see if Advanced Adaptors or the like makes anything to mate it to the 318 motor.  Also it would cause some major headache on rewiring everything back up and working out all the bugs.  The AW4 is a great transmission, but also not rated strong enough for the 5.2 motor.  You would be better off with a new 44RE or 44RH or better still see if a 46 will work like the 5.9 had.

Offline redneck_punk

• Level 2
Re: tranny swap will a aw4 go in the place of a 44re
« Reply #2 on: 11/ 1/06 - 11:22PM »
I had probs with the 46 I had in my dodge I kept tearing them out litterally but thanks for the answer and the advise I will try to find anouther 44 until I do the major modifing later on when I blow this up (fubared) when I drop the 327 in to it.
t's a Jeep NOT a sheep get off my tail!!!!!!!!