Author Topic: 4WD indicator light switch?  (Read 1349 times)

Offline cpj

• Level 2
4WD indicator light switch?
« on: 11/18/06 - 01:30PM »
Ok, I have an 89 YJ, and the 4WD light on the dash is not coming on when I shift into 4WD. I checked the bulb, and it is fine. The question is where is the switch that controls the light? And yes, it is going into 4WD.
Once in a while that perfect part rolls around that the redneck craftsman sees and goes, "this would be just perfect as a ________."

Offline jfair

• Level 1
Re: 4WD indicator light switch?
« Reply #1 on: 11/18/06 - 04:11PM »
I believe but I have been wrong before,the switch is located on your front axle and should hook into your vacuum acctuater that ingages the 4 wheel

Offline cpj

• Level 2
« Reply #2 on: 11/18/06 - 04:25PM »
I looked there, but only saw the vacum lines going to it. Maybe I missed something, but I dont think I saw it there. I have a feeling it is inside the T case. And if it is, I have feelling it will just stay not working, depending on how hard it is to get to.
Once in a while that perfect part rolls around that the redneck craftsman sees and goes, "this would be just perfect as a ________."

Offline OldYJ

• Charter Members
  • Level 5
« Reply #3 on: 11/18/06 - 09:39PM »
who needs a light anyway Chris?
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from
those who are willing to work and give to those who would not"
Thomas Jefferson

Offline TanYJ

• Level 4
« Reply #4 on: 11/18/06 - 09:50PM »
The switch is tied into the vacuum actuater, let me check my service manual, and scan the pages that apply to it.  This may take a few minutes....

Notice the 2 check valves, 1 is just before the switch box that actuates the dash light.  And, there is a breather valve that could be blocked too.  Good luck.
J-ust.................It's
E-mpty.............Hip
E-very............To be
P-ocket.........[-]====[-]
.....The second mouse gets the cheese.....
"Skinny models, you can keep those..I like big corn-fed mid-western ho's"

Offline cpj

• Level 2
« Reply #5 on: 11/18/06 - 10:02PM »
Quote from: "OldYJ"
who needs a light anyway Chris?

Cause if'n Im gonna be a rough rider one day, I gots ta know if Im in 4WD. :biggrin:

Thanks for the help Dick, Im anxious to see where it is.

Offline cpj

• Level 2
« Reply #6 on: 11/18/06 - 10:55PM »
Thanks Dick. :cool:  I just wonder where it is mounted. Ill check it out in the daylight.

Offline TanYJ

• Level 4
« Reply #7 on: 11/18/06 - 10:57PM »
It should be mounted up on the firewall, passenger side, but just follow the vacuum lines, you can't miss the switch.
J-ust.................It's
E-mpty.............Hip
E-very............To be
P-ocket.........[-]====[-]
.....The second mouse gets the cheese.....
"Skinny models, you can keep those..I like big corn-fed mid-western ho's"

Offline cpj

• Level 2
« Reply #8 on: 11/18/06 - 11:02PM »
Gotcha. Ill go have a look.

Offline cpj

• Level 2
« Reply #9 on: 11/18/06 - 11:12PM »
Found it! Thanks again for the help.

The light not working is only part of the reason that I wanted to find it. I knew that the 4wd system works off of vacum, and I just wanted to learn more about how it works, and make sure I dont have any leaks or messed up hoses. That, and light bulbs that dont work piss me off.