Author Topic: Custom hard top hoist  (Read 2072 times)

Offline 97_TJ

• Level 1
Custom hard top hoist
« on: 04/14/10 - 12:21PM »
I'm in the process of finishing up on a hard top hoist and the only item I have left to purchase is the winch to power it. Does anyone have any insight as to where to buy a cheap plug in winch. Also, dumb question... Can a winch that is designed to be hooked up to a battery be easily changed to a plug in style?? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Nate

Offline derf1184

• Level 1
Re: Custom hard top hoist
« Reply #1 on: 04/14/10 - 02:33PM »
You could always use a hand winch.  It'll be cheaper and works just as well.  I got mine at harbor freight.

Here's what I did a few years back.
http://ozarksjeepthing.com/c/index.php/topic,6070.msg30614.html#msg30614

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #2 on: 04/14/10 - 02:34PM »
Harbor Freight. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=39997

As far as making it work off an outlet; I WOULD NOT wire it without some sort of converter in between the wall and the winch.
EVERY NORMAL MAN MUST BE TEMPTED AT TIMES TO SPIT ON HIS HANDS, HOIST THE BLACK FLAG, AND BEGIN SLITTING THROATS.

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #3 on: 04/15/10 - 12:06AM »
If Alex does it with a hand winch it can't be labor intensive!
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline 97_TJ

• Level 1
« Reply #4 on: 04/15/10 - 11:35AM »
Thanks for the input. I'll start out with the hand winch and see how i like it. Appreciate the help.

Nate

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #5 on: 04/15/10 - 11:35AM »
hand winch? we have those in Springfield?  >:D
EVERY NORMAL MAN MUST BE TEMPTED AT TIMES TO SPIT ON HIS HANDS, HOIST THE BLACK FLAG, AND BEGIN SLITTING THROATS.