Author Topic: Groove cube - The ultimate float trip/camping speakers!  (Read 3958 times)

Offline 90finder

• Level 3
So we go on a lot of float/camping trips every summer and we always want music on the river and back at camp. We usually draw for the short straw to determine who has to pony up the $ for the cheap radio that seems to get ruined every time. This got old really quick and the radio never lasted more than 2 hours on the river before being runined and it couldnt be heard from very far away so this year I decided to man up and build something that would last and be loud as hell.... This is the website I used for the idea.

http://www.motorboatyourself.com/page10.php

It only took about 4 hours total to do and I was able to use some speakers I had laying around and the optima out of the pathfinder to cut down on the costs a little. I ended up using a dual CD player with IPOD controls, alpine type s 6 x 9's, pioneer 6.5's, and a marine style fm/am antenna. I sealed up all the speakers with silicone and I am not planning on it being directly in the water. It is really loud and the cooler I used has wheels so it should be very easy to tote around the campsight, softball practice, river shores, etc... As you can see I set mine up to also be able to float behind a canoe. : )

I'll get some better pics of it in the day light soon. What do you guys think?

1993 Pathfinder - SAS, 37's, EXO, and some other junk....

Offline Fierogld

• Level 3
  • climbin trees
Re: Groove cube - The ultimate float trip/camping speakers!
« Reply #1 on: 05/20/10 - 12:45PM »
man you have way too much time on your hands....but that is a cool idea, hope it doesnt get flipped by a rapid.  does the top lid lock just in case it takes a tumble.
I like jeeps!!!

Offline 90finder

• Level 3
Re: Groove cube - The ultimate float trip/camping speakers!
« Reply #2 on: 05/20/10 - 02:50PM »
No, I just never sleep.... as for tipping over, I'm sure it will be fine, its got an optima red top in the bottom of it so all the weight is way down low. It will also get a strap from handle to handle on the raft that will run over the top of the groove cube just in case though. I used it at softball practice last night and it was awesome, sounds great!
1993 Pathfinder - SAS, 37's, EXO, and some other junk....