Author Topic: D35 to D44  (Read 996 times)

Offline gjgoodale

• Level 3
  • ZMBR8D
D35 to D44
« on: 06/ 6/10 - 07:54PM »
I'm looking at what it would take to make the move from my stock D35 rear to a D44.  I've got a 97 TJ but I don't know what D44 axles will work with it.  I've seen some from cherokees, Grand Cherokees, and other vehicles.  Does anyone know what I should look for on the used market?

Check the OJT Facebook page<br />http://www.facebook.com/groups/ozarksjeepthing/

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
Re: D35 to D44
« Reply #1 on: 06/ 6/10 - 08:06PM »
You should look for one out of a TJ if you don't have fab skills to cut/weld brackets on.

XJ 44's are same width but are leaf sprung.
ZJ/WJ 44's are junk aluminum versions with almost 0 aftermarket support.

Even with a TJ 44 you will need to have your drive shaft modified since the pinion is longer on a 44.
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline TJ-2thousand

• Level 4
  • When in doubt, throttle out!!!
« Reply #2 on: 06/ 7/10 - 01:45AM »
if the jeep has any lift higher than 2", the stock shaft can be reused.
CAMPING WITHOUT BEER IS JUST SLEEPING OUTSIDE!

Offline iJeep

• Level 4
« Reply #3 on: 06/10/10 - 12:08AM »
Another thing to keep in mind is that we offer brand new Dana 44s built for TJ with Superior chromolly axle shafts.  Depending on the locker type, we have had customers find that it was less expensive to go with a new, custom built 44 instead of a used one.  They can start at under $1500.

We have several club members running our custom axles who had bad problems with their 35.  So far, they have all been happy with the upgrade.