Author Topic: Clutch is going out  (Read 933 times)

Offline mmartin

• Level 1
Clutch is going out
« on: 06/16/10 - 06:37PM »
Wanted to get an opinion from you guys. 

When the Jeep runs at highway speeds for a while (30min-2hrs) it starts to get hard to put it in gear.  I had one shop in Licking, Mo check the tranny fluid (I didnt have any tools) and there was a little gold flake in it.  I took it to a tranny shop in St. Louis and he said the flake is normal, the tranny feels fine and he thinks the clutch is just worn out.

I'm sure one or more of you has run into this, want to get advice on what all needs to be replaced. 

Thank you in advance for your help,

Mitch

Offline mmartin

• Level 1
Re: Clutch is going out
« Reply #1 on: 06/16/10 - 06:41PM »
Also if anyone wants to make some money I don't have a garage to work in so I'm having to pay to replace it. 

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #2 on: 06/16/10 - 07:02PM »
Have you had any issues with the clutch slipping under load?
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline mmartin

• Level 1
« Reply #3 on: 06/16/10 - 09:53PM »
No not at all, which worries me.

Offline mmartin

• Level 1
« Reply #4 on: 06/27/10 - 02:58PM »
Got the new clutch in, it alleviated a few of the problems I was having.  The release bearing\clutch slave cylinder assembly seemed really loose when I put it in, is this normal?  The one I pulled out was the same it just doesn't seem right and I think it's what's making a rattling noise now when the transmission is in gear but not under load.  May be something else but I can't think of what else would make that sound. 
« Last Edit: 06/27/10 - 03:04PM by mmartin »