Author Topic: Homemade Discos and Steering Stabilizer replace  (Read 1355 times)

Offline v2thjeep

• Level 2
My Jeep is super old and has some rust on the suspension parts. I'm stuck on two things:

#1 Can't remove clevis pin from sleeve to replace with new hardware.

Just installed a lift. I had some homemade discos on previously. One of them will not come off.

The sleeve is rusted onto the clevis pin. I used a BFM (mallet) to get the end of the sleeve even with the end of the pin, but can't figure out how finish it. I tried a little last night to crack the sleeve more so it would come off the pin. No success.

#2 Steering Stabilizer replacement

I can't get the darned bolt attached to the tie rod to come up. I've tried a rubber mallet, lots of PB Blaster, and also rented a pitman arm puller. I was able to latch the pitman arm puller on once, but it wasn't even making the bolt budge. The pitman arm puller was too wide and didn't latch on to anywhere else to force the bolt up through the tie rod.  Do I need another tool? Tie rod puller?

WTF is a Palm Beach Edition?

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
Re: Homemade Discos and Steering Stabilizer replace
« Reply #1 on: 07/ 8/10 - 04:00PM »
#1 slice it down the side (longways) with an angle grinder/cut off wheel and remove.

#2 put a nut on it (but not all the way tight, leave a good gap) and beat with hammer; hit it hard; or with the nut on it apply pressure (a good amount, but not enough to bend anything) with a bottle jack and beat the top side to side with a hammer till it breaks free.

« Last Edit: 07/ 8/10 - 04:01PM by LoneWolf »
EVERY NORMAL MAN MUST BE TEMPTED AT TIMES TO SPIT ON HIS HANDS, HOIST THE BLACK FLAG, AND BEGIN SLITTING THROATS.

Offline v2thjeep

• Level 2
« Reply #2 on: 07/ 8/10 - 04:21PM »
#1 slice it down the side (longways) with an angle grinder/cut off wheel and remove.

#2 put a nut on it (but not all the way tight, leave a good gap) and beat with hammer; hit it hard; or with the nut on it apply pressure (a good amount, but not enough to bend anything) with a bottle jack and beat the top side to side with a hammer till it breaks free.

Thanks LoneWolf, any other suggestions for #1 if I don't have an angle grinder? And is a regular hammer better for the steering stabilizer nut or a rubber mallet?
WTF is a Palm Beach Edition?

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #3 on: 07/ 8/10 - 04:31PM »
maybe a pair of vise-grips clamped on the inside and pound on them...  it's hard to say, it looks like the main pin its boogered on the end and that is what is hanging it up; maybe you can beat it back on a bit and then grind those nubs down with a file or something... It's going to be dang near impossible to slide it over them; that's why I say cut it off.

For #2 If you got a hammer it'll put more force into it; the rubber mallet not going to do it. Put the nut on and pound on it so you don't mess up your threads.
EVERY NORMAL MAN MUST BE TEMPTED AT TIMES TO SPIT ON HIS HANDS, HOIST THE BLACK FLAG, AND BEGIN SLITTING THROATS.