Author Topic: 1990 YJ transmission question  (Read 884 times)

Offline r7955

• Level 1
1990 YJ transmission question
« on: 08/ 2/10 - 03:52AM »
I'm looking at buying a 1990 YJ with the 4.2 motor and 5 speed transmission.  The trans grinds the gears going into 3rd everytime, 4th sometimes, and 5th... but not 1st or 2nd. 

Any suggestions on what this could be and what it'll cost to fix?

The body is in good shape & hardly any rust for a 1990, but the engine/carb definitely needs a tune-up.  Hardtop, stock everything else, yada yada yada.  He's asking $3,800 OBO and seems pretty negotiable.

What would you all say to such a rig?

Would like to find a decent YJ or TJ but It's hard to find anything not all eaten up with rust or beat to death.

Thanks for your time.

Offline GURU

• Law Dog
  • Charter Members
  • Level 3
Re: 1990 YJ transmission question
« Reply #1 on: 08/ 2/10 - 10:50AM »
Being a 90, it should have an AX15 tranny.  Syncros are common to wear, so its probably time for a fresh trans or have that one rebuilt.

It would probably cost around 600-800 to have that one rebuilt, then you would know it would be good to go.

Not a bad price on the Jeep.  That's about what the price should be with a good trans. 

Hope this helps.
CP
hose who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                     -Benjamin Franklin
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f151/DDay1/biohazard.jpg
ZERO TOLERANCE

Offline r7955

• Level 1
Re: 1990 YJ transmission question
« Reply #2 on: 08/ 2/10 - 02:28PM »
Thank you for your reply.  I'll give some shops a call to see where I'd be cost wise.
Thanks again.